3D Editor help/suggestions

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/3D Editor help/suggestions

AdamStrange(Posted 2012) [#1]
I'm currently writing a 3d editor for creating low polygon models etc and wondered what people would like to have?

Here is the current feature list of things that are already operational:
ui and general operations
1. full custom ui - finished
2. 4 view (front/side/top/3d) - finished
3. 3 views of 3d (single vanishing point, true perspective, isometric) - finished
4. Different viewport arrangement (all 4 views the same size, single view 1 window, large main window and 3 small windows to the right) - finished
5. show/hide vertex numbers - finished
6. show vertexes, lines, shaded faces - finished
7. select vertexes, lines, faces, object - finished
8. full per vertex colour with full rgba/hsla with user stored pages and shading between colours - finished

9. select mode, drag window mode, zoom window mode - finished

Object List
10. full object list showing objects, face, vertexes, vertex numbers and colours, plus ability to hide/show - finished
10a. Object merge and delete - UNFINISHED
10b. Multi object (lesser objects linked together to form a big object - with scale, rotate, position per object) - UNFINSHED

object creation
11. primitive object creation: triangle, square, pentagram, star, circle, cog. solid object with or without tops, pyramid, sphere, cube, etc - finished
12. user controlled primitive creation: sides 3-64, height segments 0-12, star setting, height taper, bulge. Flat top/bottom, pyramid top/bottom finished

modifiers
13. move, scale, rotate - finished
14. use selected vertex center axis or object axis - finished
15. move object axis - finished
16 pinch left/right, shear, bend, twist, taper - finished
17 bulge - UNFINISHED

Things on my hit list:
- particle system - already exists but not yet integrated
- lights (possibly light maps)
- materials possibly
- bones

Anyone have any thoughts?

Corum(Posted 2012) [#2]
Hi, and all my respect for embracing this challenging project. :)

I liked Milkshape and GameSpace (from Caligari) and looking at your features list I cannot see:
- vertex welding
- object grouping (maybe is it 10b?)
- polygon extrusion
- 2d blueprints background projections (fundamental for lowpoly modeling)

Any chance to download a demo somewhere? Mac version too? ;-)
Cheers.

AdamStrange(Posted 2012) [#3]
- vertex welding - where two vertexes that are the same become one? I thought that the models could optimise on saving - that way you don't need to think about it?

- yep 10b multi can be retitled group :)

- extrusion, these will be covered in operators. currently only duplicate is finished, but extrude and vertex add are next

- 2d blueprints a good suggestion :)

I'll get it into a more finished state (basically get everything that is there to function correctly - day or so) and get a page for it. It will be mac download only.

AdamStrange(Posted 2012) [#4]
here's a pic of the editor in its current state.
I'm just adding the file routines and also reworking the objectlist to support groups and bones

col(Posted 2012) [#5]
Hi Adam,

Looks very good. Well done for getting it this far!

I'd leave vertex welding as an option. ANY automatic operations like that could cause headaches for the designer if they specifically want 2 vertices very close to each other for some unforeseen reason.

The 2D blue-prints is a must too! I know you agree.

Something not mentioned already is a 'gimble' in the object that you can grab to perform the selected operation. I see you have some axis indication in the model and maybe that can already be used as such, but if not then having that axis indicator change shape to represent the current modifying operation and being able to simply grab the axis handles to affect the modification operation would be a great feature.

Last edited 2012

AdamStrange(Posted 2012) [#6]
- i've not started on any of the operators, so that is good advice

- in the last image (bottom right), the tree views show one of the modifiers (scale, move, etc) in operation - the large wireframe arrow shows the center. when you place the mouse over one of the arrows it changes to a solid, hover over the middle and both arrows turn solid (locking them when scaling).
rotating has different handles and show the rotation
This is the 'gimble' you want?

col(Posted 2012) [#7]
Yes thats it, the same thing but in the 3D view. Can you currently do selecting in the 3D view? - Picking vertices, edges, faces etc? I've found that soooooo much easier to be able to have the 3D view at 'fullscreen' and work in the 3D environment view, picking egdes, vertices etc and joining them up to seal holes from model merging/cutting etc.

AdamStrange(Posted 2012) [#8]
currently the 3d view is just for viewing, but I am looking into converting it over to opengl - it's all software at the moment

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#9]
Hey Adam,

just dropping in to say that I'm pretty impressed by the screenshots. I'd be interested in some beta test of some such. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one with that interest.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2012) [#10]
It must be hard work programming 3D Editor!

Well Done Adam :)

I would love try your 3D Editor :)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2012) [#11]
Make it easy to use and understand. One of the major reasons I've avoided getting into 3d modelling is how long it takes and how difficult it can be to figure out what tool to use or how to get a result. I had to buy a book on Blender just to understand the user interface and I've forgotten most of it already - too complicated.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2012) [#12]

Make it easy to use and understand. One of the major reasons I've avoided getting into 3d modelling is how long it takes and how difficult it can be to figure out what tool to use or how to get a result. I had to buy a book on Blender just to understand the user interface and I've forgotten most of it already - too complicated.

I know the feeling on 3D modelings such as Blender when I get Frustration on what I want to do and I am sure Adam will try make easiest 3D modeling Editor there is :D

Last edited 2012

AdamStrange(Posted 2012) [#13]
Hotshot & Imaginary, I hear you load and clear. I downloaded blender and just gave up, wings3d just made me want to throw things so I thought "What would I like to use?"

the status bar at the bottom gives full hints/help as you move the mouse over any item.

I'll get it in a usable form and put up a download soon

AdamStrange(Posted 2012) [#14]
Col, I really want to thank you for the comment about using modifiers in the 3d window.

This caused me to 'opengl' the 3d view (it was originally software).

It's been a struggle to get GL to operate the way I wanted and has thrown up all sorts of interesting things with my model structure (inside out models anyone), and has also made me dig deep into projection and depth buffers.

I've now got my head fully around OpenGL and basic polygon meshes and can start integrating it fully :)

AdamStrange(Posted 2012) [#15]
small update to this:
OpenGL window is now fully operational with proper z-depth

The opengl display is now looking exactly the same as the original software render (as shown above) complete with the background fade

selected vertexes now have a star so operate in 3d, and lines also show on the model

I've been working on selecting vertexes in 3d from a 2d mouse position - it wasn't a simple task at all, but it now operates and I will begin to integrate it all fully :)

Corum(Posted 2012) [#16]
WOW, it looks really amazing! And it's MAC ONLY TOO!!
You're THE man! I'll be forced to throw away my copy of Cheetah3D then. :)
Talking about vertex welding (ehm.. I see it's unpopular here :P), i mean the option to "fill a gap" between 2 polygons, by welding 2+2 vertices, deleting an edge and "sharing" the left one. You could see the entire process as a merge between vertices and edges.
Anyway, cannot wait do download this promising editor.
Keep up the very good work!

EDIT:
Talking about features list, what about:
- adding vertex along an edge of a polygon/triangle
- adding an edge inside an existing polygon/triangle by joining 2 vertices

Last edited 2012

Hardcoal(Posted 2013) [#17]
Hey Adam.
when can I get math formulas in order to build a 3d editor too?

or did you do all the math by your self?

AdamStrange(Posted 2013) [#18]
they were all my own i'm afraid - lots of trial and error

I can help in any way though :)

Hardcoal(Posted 2013) [#19]
Thanks adam.