From Natural Language To Symbolic Map To Nat.Lang

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/From Natural Language To Symbolic Map To Nat.Lang

TechnoSinga(Posted 2012) [#1]
Thoughts? I'm attempting to code a Technological Singularity, in the sense that it will scan lots of information and provide natural language answers; based of course on Natural Language questions.

Any theories?

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#2]
I'm attempting to code a Technological Singularity

So long as you know that thousands of post-docs around the world have been working on that for decades.

(Don't be disheartened: that's a good thing, it means there's a lot of literature for you to read up on and see what's been tried already. But do be realistic, we would have done it by now if it was a one-person BlitzMax job.)

I suggest you start reading here: http://see.stanford.edu/see/courseinfo.aspx?coll=348ca38a-3a6d-4052-937d-cb017338d7b1

TechnoSinga(Posted 2012) [#3]
The method I have came up with is sound though, but yeah I am aware of the world wide effort to construct one.

Any blitzer's here want to join in the hunt for a new sun?

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#4]
I have a feeling that if your method is based on a manually coded natural language parser (which is what it sounds like), then it's not nearly as sound as you think, for a number of reasons. Seriously, read all of the literature. (On the other hand, if you have a design.... uh, why not just test it now?)

Natural language is a distraction (in that it is both extremely hard and not actually very useful at all). Start with an adaptive problem solver that can solve a small subset of logical questions and move up from there.

Also I'll be honest, you're talking to the wrong community for this. You 1) need a forum interested in advanced CS theory, which is not this one; and 2) need a much more suitable tool for the job than BlitzMax (I guess technically it doesn't have any pressing drawbacks... it merely doesn't provide anything useful for this task either); and 3) need to learn the jargon that developed after the AI winter, because people have largely stopped giving funding to projects that sound like they want to bring about the Culture.

Edit: and 4) looking at your worklog, I'm pretty sure you don't actually understand what a "singularity" is.

Last edited 2012

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#5]
So you want to compete with a machine IBM built, developed and tested for a considerable amount of time AND played as contestant on Jeopardy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watson_(computer)

Last edited 2012