Flashing Bug

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Flashing Bug

Armitage 1982(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi

Does anyone already had someone reporting flashing rendering images with BlitzMax games?

It's the second users that report me that strange bug and the only think that could potentially fix it is updating the drivers (while the "older" one isn't that old).

It's a strange bug because it's also have an impact over my gameplay which is by no means connected to the animation system.

I soon will have more info about this (it's always the problem with people not sending you their specs or their OS and then disappears into the wild).

Last edited 2012

GfK(Posted 2012) [#2]
You talking about the whole screen or just individual sprites? There was something about this happening in OpenGL a few years ago but I haven't heard of it since.

If you're using GL under windows, I'd strongly recommend switching to DX9. GL is just far too wobbly across different hardware versions.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2012) [#3]
It seems that on this new feedback only my main character is flashing.

I won't be able to switch to DX because I'm heavily using OpenGL for low-level stuff on my level editor and so on.

Maybe there's a problem on some system with maths in my tweening animation system using floating numbers and easing equations. But why updating graphic driver would fix this... I dunno !

GfK(Posted 2012) [#4]
Well, i think there was a command called EnableSharedGLContexts() which had some effect on the problem. Not 100% on that cos i'm on my iPad so can't check, but other than that yeah, driver update.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#5]
SetGraphicsDriver GLMax2DDriver()

Causes these problems for me on MacOS

Armitage 1982(Posted 2012) [#6]
It's happening on a Windows XP SP3 intel i3 with a ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series and WHQL driver 6.14.0010.7240 from 11/9/2011.

Frankly I would have preferred if this was happening on Linux or any other strange old configuration ^^

I guess, again, it's that Catalyst drivers issue with OpenGL reported by Adobe and ATI itself. ATI Radeon always had the worst OpenGL drivers ever!

I remember my first Radeon even explode one day because of the heat or something. A friend of mine also had this damaging problem once.
Plus the 2D OpenGL performances were always disastrous compared to equivalent or even slowest chipset from other brands.

This Driver is from 2011 !
They never learn from their mistakes at ATI !?
Plus they push WHQL logo on nearly all driver version.

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#7]
Are you redrawing the entire background each frame, or only part of it?

One potential issue could be that the graphcis card in question uses multiple backbuffers to cycle through. Depending on the card, it may use anywhere from one to four backbuffers, and these get cycled through on each 'flip'.

If you have a card that uses multiple backbuffers, your (non-redrawn) background may 'rewind' several frames, which can lead to really annoying flashing effects.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2012) [#8]
FIXED
I managed to ask the update of the ATI Catalyst Driver and while it was a driver from 2011, this cure the problem!

So you know what to do now if someone report that kind of problems while using OpenGL with an ATI Radeon.

Thanks for your help :)

SLotman(Posted 2012) [#9]
Heh, Intel OpenGL drivers are much worse than the ATI ones... that's why DX is always recommended on windows - both DX drivers from ATI and Intel works like a charm.

A long time ago, I posted on miniB3D forum about one issue with Intel drivers (at least on GMA's) - if you initialize the depth buffer to 24 bits (which the card supports, and the driver reports as available), the driver tells you that everything is ok and the buffer is initialized to 24 bits - but in fact, the depth buffer remains at 16 bits, no matter what you do!

DX in the other hand, demands by standard a 24 bits depth buffer, so there's no hassle whatsoever... (and this is just 1 of many examples with OpenGL on Windows)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2012) [#10]
Glad you fixed it, I was wondering if they had disabled vertical-blank syncing and maybe it was producing tearing. But anyway.