Can BlitzMax be used to create desktop apps?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Can BlitzMax be used to create desktop apps?

karmacomposer(Posted 2012) [#1]
I know it's used primarily to create games, but BlitzMax is a language so can't it also be used to create Mac and PC executeables - like Database programs and utilities? Is there any real limitation to BlitzMax as far as more business-related programming?

I'm looking to buy BLIde and Logic GUI Pro - which for all intents and purposes makes programming in BlitzBasic like programming in Delphi!!!!

Am I wrong?

Mike

ima747(Posted 2012) [#2]
No, you can do whatever. However since its intended to games some "normal" things are not super easy, GUI handling for example is a bit more convoluted than with a language that natively handles such things.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#3]
You can try using MaxGUI or wxwidgets.

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#4]
Since blitzmax has the ability to interface with external DLLs and such it can be used to create pretty much any type of program.

There are a ton of 3rd party modules that extend it's default functionality, such as Brucey's mods: http://code.google.com/p/maxmods/

Kryzon(Posted 2012) [#5]
Pick the best tool for the job.
If you're going to develop business software and can pick anything you want, prefer Delphi.

However, if you only have BlitzMax accessible, it is also capable of pulling it off.

karmacomposer(Posted 2012) [#6]
I have other tools to develop business software, but I am trying to just use 1 tool for all if possible, which I know is a foolish gesture.

Thanks everyone. These answers helped me quite a bit. Other than the fact that BlitzMax will never be 64 bit, it's perfect for my needs.

Anyone think that BlitzMax will be available in 64 bit EVER?

Mike

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#7]

Mark has mentioned in the past that he had no plans for a 64bit version, but has been silent about it for the last year or two.

I wouldn't hold my breath.

karmacomposer(Posted 2012) [#8]
I just heard back from support. No 64 bit so I will not be able to use BliztMax since 64 bit is here and 32 bit will be phased out in the not-to-distant future.

Mike

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#9]

No.

If Mark ever decides to give up on sales and open-source it, maybe then. But I think the course of action set by BRL is pretty unambiguous that he has no plans for this, and better things to do with his time.

*(Posted 2012) [#10]
Purebasic has 64-bit has had for some time and had a GUI system that you could use, so maybe have a look at www.purebasic.com and see if it suits you.

Yes I know this isnt the PB forum BUT the lack of 64-bit support will make people look elsewhere its about time Mark got with the times on this and created something that compiles 64-bit before the whole Blitz line goes the way of Blitz Basic 2.1

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#11]
its about time Mark got with the times on this and created something that compiles 64-bit

http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/

*(Posted 2012) [#12]
Yasha: yeah but not for desktop apps, what im asking is why the push to the new toy when the old one needs work or is that going to go the way of blitz basic 2d and be retired when its no longer in use. I know blitz plus has replaced blitz basic 2d but blitz3d also seems to be falling by the wayside as well.