Blitzmax, dx7 and windows 8...

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Blitzmax, dx7 and windows 8...

SLotman(Posted 2012) [#1]
... apparently an explosive combination =P~

I just tested my games on win8, and since I auto-detect the OS/installed DX version, through a bug of mine, the selected driver on win8 was being direct-x 7.

My games were all running very slow, and in 640x480 resolution until I mark them to run in "compatibility mode with XP SP3";

I had all kinds of issues - from the strange resolution (I'm using chaos.desktop extension - but that doesn't seem to be the problem), from the game running very slow only in fullscreen mode (apparently no "flip 0" in fullscreen, just on windowed mode where it ran in perfect speed, even without compatibility mode).

Also, only in DX7, when swapping from fullscreen to windowed mode, all my TImageFonts were lost.

The moment I fixed my bug, and forced the dx9 driver (The one by DStatny, not the bmax default one), everything worked as expected.

So now I'm even afraid to try my Blitz3D games...
Edit: Actually the B3D games worked spot on, not problems at all! So the only thing is the Max dx7 driver.

Have anyone experienced such things?

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#2]
Take into consideration that Windows 8 is still not finished 100% and it may get some compatibility fixes. Anyway I would considere DX9 as a better choice for Windows 8

SLotman(Posted 2012) [#3]
One good thing is that it comes with dx9 pre-installed, so no reason to worry about that (at least...!)

Grisu(Posted 2012) [#4]
Hi,

have you tried MaxGUI apps under Win8 as well? Are they affected too?

I'd like to know if my radio player still works.

Grisu

TomToad(Posted 2012) [#5]
Try installing DirectX 9.0c runtime from the Microsoft website. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

It seems to fix some problems with older programs. Apparently, Windows 8 does not have a true DX9 API, but instead translates DX9 calls to DX11 and by installing DX9, you allow the older programs to run in the native API.