Get system date & time, not as a string

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Get system date & time, not as a string

Pineapple(Posted 2012) [#1]
How can I read the system clock without the asinine overhead of messing around with strings?

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#2]
"CurrentTime" is just a wrapper around the C Standard Library's "time" function, which then converts the C time to a string. So, you can call "time" directly if you import Pub.StdC (as "_time"), and do whatever you want with the populated time_t buffer.

Remember you can view the source of "CurrentTime" in BRL.System. It's pretty straightforward.

Last edited 2012

Pineapple(Posted 2012) [#3]
I did look at that, and was completely lost when I actually tried to use the data. How do I interpret the array of bytes?

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#4]
Well technically it's implementation-dependent, which is always a pain - BlitzMax solves this by handing off the interpretation of the value to the C Standard Library as well, so no BlitzMax code ever actually handles the value.

In practice, on *nix systems it will be an integer containing the number of seconds since the Unix Epoch, and on Windows... I have no idea, I assume MinGW returns the same value as on Linux, and that MSVC returns something different because MSVC is like that. I think it's 32-bit by default on MinGW, but that may have changed.

The best option is to find a suitable C function to interpret the data in a way useful to you, and not attempt to interpret this data yourself because it is free to change shape and size at any time. If you really have to handle it in BlitzMax... find out whether it's a 32-bit or 64-bit int, but be aware that your program can break without warning if the C runtime library updates.

EDIT: I think the short answer is to look at the documentation for strftime, and construct a format-string that produces an easier output for you to parse (e.g. just seconds, no colons) and wrap this in a function similar to the way CurrentTime is set up. You still have string handling overhead, but you can make the value much easier to read, so you can e.g. just get three separate plain values for hour, minute and seconds, pass the strings straight to Int(), and do some multiplications by 60.

Last edited 2012

Pineapple(Posted 2012) [#5]
on the off chance that this topic comes up in some future programmer's search, here's the code I've ended up using:

Type timestamp
	Field hour%,minute%,second%
	Field day%,month%,year%
	Method getdate$()
		Return padbefore(day,"0",2)+"/"+padbefore(month,"0",2)+"/"+Right(year,2)
	End Method
	Method gettime$()
		Local suff$=" am"
		If hour>11 Then suff=" pm"
		Return padbefore((hour Mod 12),"0",2)+":"+padbefore(minute,"0",2)+":"+padbefore(second,"0",2)+suff
	End Method
	Method write(f:TStream)
		WriteInt f,hour
		WriteInt f,minute
		WriteInt f,second
		WriteInt f,day
		WriteInt f,month
		WriteInt f,year
	End Method
	Function read:timestamp(f:TStream)
		Local n:timestamp=New timestamp
		n.hour=ReadInt(f)
		n.minute=ReadInt(f)
		n.second=ReadInt(f)
		n.day=ReadInt(f)
		n.month=ReadInt(f)
		n.year=ReadInt(f)
		Return n
	End Function
	Function now:timestamp()
		Local n:timestamp=New timestamp
		Local	time[256],buff:Byte[256]
		time_(time)
		Local localtime:Byte Ptr=localtime_( time )
		strftime_(buff,256,"%d",localtime)
		n.day=Int(String.FromCString(buff))
		strftime_(buff,256,"%m",localtime)
		n.month=Int(String.FromCString(buff))
		strftime_(buff,256,"%Y",localtime)
		n.year=Int(String.FromCString(buff))
		strftime_(buff,256,"%H",localtime)
		n.hour=Int(String.FromCString(buff))
		strftime_(buff,256,"%M",localtime)
		n.minute=Int(String.FromCString(buff))
		strftime_(buff,256,"%S",localtime)
		n.second=Int(String.FromCString(buff))
		Return n
	End Function
	Method compare(o1:Object)
		Local o:timestamp=timestamp(o1)
		If year >o.year Return 1 ElseIf year <o.year Return -1
		If month >o.month Return 1 ElseIf month <o.month Return -1
		If day >o.day Return 1 ElseIf day <o.day Return -1
		If hour >o.hour Return 1 ElseIf hour <o.hour Return -1
		If minute >o.minute Return 1 ElseIf minute <o.minute Return -1
		If second >o.second Return 1 ElseIf second <o.second Return -1
		Return 0
	End Method
End Type
Function padbefore$(str$,char$,num%)
	While Len(str)<num
		str=char+str
	Wend
	Return str
End Function

degac(Posted 2012) [#6]
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=84517#954993

As CurrentDate() and CurrentTime() are based on C standard library you can change the 'parametric string' to get what you want without too many efforts (just changing the Bmax source)

http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/clibrary/ctime/strftime/
http://php.net/manual/en/function.strftime.php

Cheers

Last edited 2012

Garfield(Posted 2013) [#7]
Hi,

I found this while Iīm looking for to calculate a unix timestamp from a FileTime. Iīm using LibCurl, but the function to get the FileTime from the server doesnīt work. Maybe the server givenīt the info or something else.
These code looks great, but I didnīt understand. Is there somebody to give an example?
Thanks a lot

Winfried