MSE now alerts on running Blitzmax EXEs

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/MSE now alerts on running Blitzmax EXEs

GfK(Posted 2012) [#1]
When I run a BlitzMax EXE I get a MSE pop-up telling me that me EXE is "unrecognized", and do I want to send it to Microsoft for them to destroy in a controlled explosion (or words to that effect).

Anybody else getting this?

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#2]
I don't. Wich OS are you using, and where did the EXE came from? was it the result of your own compilation?

Armitage 1982(Posted 2012) [#3]
I don't too. Maybe an accident ?
Did you try on Max samples ?

therevills(Posted 2012) [#4]
Yep, I've been getting it now for about 2 weeks or so... very annoying!

GfK(Posted 2012) [#5]
I don't. Wich OS are you using, and where did the EXE came from? was it the result of your own compilation?
It's Windows 7 and it does it after compiling and running the game I'm working on. Just ran an older build of Crime Solitaire (compiled 26th December 2011) and it did it with that as well.

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#6]
Are you running it from any weird location? I have no idea what can be causing this...

Floyd(Posted 2012) [#7]
I just saw this for the first time as well, trying out version 1.48. Here is what I think was the sequence of events.

1. Install to C:\BlitzMax\148
2. Run IDE, ignore prompt to rebuild docs.
3. Build and Run a test program.
4. MSE warning pops up. I click Cancel when asked to send report to Microsoft.
5. Quit, then run the .exe from step 3, located in \tmp folder. No warning.
6. Again run IDE, but this time rebuild docs.
7. Build and Run same program from step 3. No warning.

Why no more warnings? Is it because I didn't send a report to Microsoft? The rebuilding of docs? Some kind of voodoo?

Last edited 2012

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#8]
Just give it some time, and you'll probably end up with a "we couldn't help but notice that you didn't use the new & improved Visual Studio Express suite to create AMAZING WINDOWS 8 METRO APPLICATIONS instead. Do you wish us to help you by uninstalling your current programming language?" popup instead.

Anyhoo, could very well be a false positive, if MS found some blitzmax executables that were infected with something nasty and screwed up the fingerprinting to flag any executable created by it -- has happened plenty of times in the past, with for example all UPX-compressed executables getting flagged as a virus.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#9]
I get the same thing but ignore it :)

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#10]
I get the same thing but ignore it :)

It's a really bad situation though, since any game that you create and distribute is also going to give the same incorrect warning on a not-insignificant percentage of your customer's PC's...

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#11]
Submit false positives to Microsft:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Shared/VendorFP.aspx

therevills(Posted 2012) [#12]
Heres the exact wording:

Microsoft Security Essentials

Security Essentials detected items on your PC that it doesn't recognize. By sending the files listed below, you can help Microsoft analysts determine whether these items are malicious.

Muttley(Posted 2012) [#13]
@GfK: Very strange. I'm running Win 7 (64bit) with MSE and don't get this.

Have you made sure you have all the relevant system updates, etc?

Armitage 1982(Posted 2012) [#14]
Oh yeah !
I had this one time or 2. Seem's like a new way to digitally sign software for Microsoft. I'm having this with various other games too.

I guess people need to get used to it. It's a bit like Google Chrome telling you every executable is potentially dangerous or this software as been downloaded from the internet since x days, are you sure you want to run it?

This is annoying. Annoying and dumb. now when you want to quit and launch a software you have to confirm each time.

Are you sure you have read me?

We ask developer to be ergonomic and then the OS or marketing (thanks to ads) add necessary click every minute.

William Drescher(Posted 2012) [#15]
Lots of different Antivirus vendors actually give false positives with BlitzMax compiled applications. Kaspersky doesn't do it anymore but Avast still blocks my programs when I build them from the IDE and asks if I want to run them in a sandbox or to just run them. MSE has only recently been doing this for me but most of the time if I package a manifest file with version information in it the errors don't seem to come up anymore on that particular program.

However, I've also been getting false positives on the BlitzMax compiling programs (BMK, FASM, and LD). There's definitely something different with the newest version of MSE and it's pretty annoying.

Derron(Posted 2012) [#16]
Another potential issue is: modified exe files. Does the AV pop up on first .exe creation or just after rebuilding?

As BM is using fasm.exe + normal gcc-linker-chain there should not be issues.

bye
Ron