BLIde for .net framework 4

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/BLIde for .net framework 4

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#1]
The .net framework 4 will be the defauly framework on Windows 8 machines. It's a bit faster and has a better Garbage Collector for its running applications. So I'm considering making a whole port of BLIde to the .net framework version 4.

The good news:
-Instant compatibility with Windows 8 when it's out
-Instant compatibility with ARM based computers (just in case we have an ARM based version of BlitzMax, you never know...)This seems it's not going to happen anytime soon.
-Faster execution and better memory management
-Possibility to imporve the way BLIde paralelizes some tasks on several cores machines (that should bring a nice speed improvement on some machines)

The bad news:
-The portable version of BLIde will require the .net framework 4 to be installed on the target machine, wich is not available by default on any windows distro (other than current windows 8 preview). It can be installed, but that means that the portability of BLIde Traveller will be a bit compromised.

Any thoughts? I would love to know any BLIde users opinions.

Last edited 2012

Last edited 2012

Last edited 2012

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#2]
Sounds pretty awesome, so a +1 for me. Would make it easy to "transition" to Win8.

Htbaa(Posted 2012) [#3]
Fine by me! .NET 4 will be the next new standard pretty soon anyway. Better to keep up with it.

Why0Why(Posted 2012) [#4]
I think it would be a good move. BLIde is very mature at this point. Couldn't you just leave the traveler version in it's current state?

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#5]
@whyowhy: Traveller is self-generated from current BlitzMax setup, so the self-generation of a portable version should also be ported and be based on .net 4, as it will be the standard in the long run BUT this makes me thing that I could provide a pre-generated .net 2.0 version available to download, based in current version, wich is very stable and mature. People would only have to add their own modules there. so all in all, we could considere BLIde .net 2.0 finished soon, with its traveller version available as a stand-alone download, and keep on updating more modern BLIde version based on .net framework 4.0. Would this be ok?

JoshK(Posted 2012) [#6]
I think planning around Microsoft's bad ideas is a bad move, but I could be wrong.

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#7]
@Joshk: Is there anything that makes .net 4 worse than .net 2? If there is, I would reconsider it, as I'm currently planing, I would love to have any information in this respect. Porting BLIde to any other technology not based on the CLR is out of discussion as it would be too expensive, in its development (and unless Java or D is involed, in its maintenance too).

Last edited 2012

Wiebo(Posted 2012) [#8]
I'm skipping Windows 8, so not interesting to me, I'm afraid.

Why0Why(Posted 2012) [#9]
Ziggy, I think that would work great. I am not the target audience, but it sounds good. I basically have a work computer and a beefy Dell Precision 4600 Mobile Workstation that I do most of my coding on these days.

dynaman(Posted 2012) [#10]
> @Joshk: Is there anything that makes .net 4 worse than .net 2?

Not a thing. I use both at work and can't wait to get all the machines in the field updated to version 4

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#11]
@dynaman: I'm using it for Jungle Ide and I'm using a lot of paralelization of tasks that makes thing a lot faster, and haven't found a single drawback or problem with the strictier secury that involves .net 4 I'm stil wondering what was Joshk refering to... ?

GfK(Posted 2012) [#12]
I'll probably be giving Windows 8 a miss, but do your worst. I'll still use BLIde anyway.

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#13]
@Gfk: But, if you're still using Jungle Ide, you already have .net 4 installed, so you would just not notice the change (other than hopefully seeing BLIde run faster and smoother, once I start paralelixing things). the big difference is that in .net 4, the garbage collection is done in the background, when available on a different thread, so applications behave almost like no GC is being used and that is a great difference in performance on any .net application.

Matthew Smith(Posted 2012) [#14]
Ziggy,

There won't be any ARM compatibity at this stage. ARM tablets are designed purely as iPad competitors with Metro apps only. The desktop will only provide Office 15 and general system features. Microsoft are not intending to release a compiler for ARM or have any x86 compatibility. One of their build windows 8 blogs describe the reasons:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/02/09/building-windows-for-the-arm-processor-architecture.aspx

Anyway, I'm looking to move up to .net 4.5 once released for my business app in 2014. Can't wait to use to the new async stuff!!

Last edited 2012

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#15]
Thanks for the info. I didn't know they are finally ditching desktop .net compatibility with ARM. Bad move in my honest opinion.

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#16]
I think planning around Microsoft's bad ideas is a bad move, but I could be wrong.

Generally yes - but you also have to adapt to certain things if you want to remain platform compatible.

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#17]

Generally yes - but you also have to adapt to certain things if you want to remain platform compatible.

But, again, why si .net 4 a bad idea? Is really anything I should consider before starting the whole thing?

Last edited 2012

TaskMaster(Posted 2012) [#18]
My only concern would be what platforms are Microsoft excluding from .Net 4.0?

I know they like to leave out older OS's for the new .Net frameworks. Which ends up forcing people to ditch programs or upgrade.

I had a Win 2K Server once and a program I ran on it was upgraded to .Net 3.0. I found out that .Net 3.0 was not available for Win 2K server and had to upgrade my server to use it.

So I would be weary of a new version of .Net dropping XP or something, which would then drop customers that could use your program.

Last edited 2012

Matthew Smith(Posted 2012) [#19]
My only concern would be what platforms are Microsoft excluding from .Net 4.0?

It can make things difficult certainly but things do need to proceed at some stage. I develop my business application in .Net 3.5 - just about all of our clients are on XP still. Makes it difficult to move forward for sure.

I see (eventually) the benefits of where Microsoft are going with the WinRT stuff. All platforms desktop, phone, Xbox will all use the same tools etc, but it makes it hard to determine where to go for the next 3-5 years. WinForms is ageing badly, WPF is the logical step forward but doesn't appear to now be in Microsoft's mind, though many 3rd party components are now available in WPF.

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#20]
I would be weary of a new version of .Net dropping XP

.NET 4.0 fully supports XP. It also is hardly "new": came out in 2010. Any XP user who runs automatic updates should have no problem with it.

...unless we're really talking about 4.5, which is the one projected to be the default for Windows 8 (and isn't actually out yet)?

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#21]
This is just to let people know that next BLIde version will be based on the .net 4 framework. It's a bit faster and more efficient regarding memory management. I'm still beta testing some areas as I've been also introducing some changes in the internal BLIde API that should bring some speed and performance improvements on multicore computers.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2012) [#22]
No worries for me, it's still good to see things evolving from your side Ziggy :)

To bad it's no more the case of BlitzMax, making me wondering if I should not move to .net 4 myself. What do you think of it ? C# Doesn't sound so hard and different than BlitzMax after all. I just which it would be more easier to port to Linux & Mac thanks to Mono.