V148 now up...

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/V148 now up...

marksibly(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi,

V148 is now up with BRL modules relicensed under the zlib/libpng license. All MaxGUI modules and any PUB modules which were originally PD are now also zlib/libpng licensed.

This means you can now freely redistribute modifications to any of the BRL/MAXGUI/PUB modules, host them at google code or sourceforge etc.

Note that the bcc compiler is still proprietary.

There is also a fix for the OpenAL audio bug where allocing/stopping a channel without actually using it caused the channel to be leaked.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#2]
Cool! Thanks Mark!

Any thoughts on BlitzMax 64bit version?

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=97482

Last edited 2012

Htbaa(Posted 2012) [#3]
That's pretty cool! Why the sudden open sourcing of the BRL modules?

Armitage 1982(Posted 2012) [#4]
There is also a fix for the OpenAL audio bug where allocing/stopping a channel without actually using it caused the channel to be leaked.

The OpenAL Fix is working under windows 7 / Mac OS / Linux :D

Now I can stop bitching and move on
Thanks a million!

Last edited 2012

Oddball(Posted 2012) [#5]
marksibly wrote:
This means you can now freely redistribute modifications to any of the BRL/MAXGUI/PUB modules, host them at google code or sourceforge etc.
Does this mean I can integrate my Odd2D module directly into Max2D and redistribute?

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#6]
Does this mean I can integrate my Odd2D module directly into Max2D and redistribute?

That would, in fact, appear to be possible - according to that licensing model.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2012) [#7]

Does this mean we are going to see pimped version of Max2D as well with all the so desired features? :D

GfK(Posted 2012) [#8]
Good update!

Now I can stop bitching and move on
Ahh, Glasshopper! You have not yet learned the way of the bb.com forumite! For when there is no more to bitch about, new problems must be invented, and bitch about those instead!

(I'm [probably] joking, obviously) :D

John G(Posted 2012) [#9]
Hooray for Odd2D. Module allowed me to pursue a remake to my famous game without OpenGL dependence. But now, I forget its name...

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#10]
MaxIDE-CE 2.01 is finally working! \o/

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#11]
So... does this leave anything under the BSSC, or does it cover everything? Does this in turn remove the legal ambiguity I seem to remember from a few years back about creating DLLs with BlitzMax? What about suggested projects like this one?

Awesome move, anyway.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#12]
Thank You Mr.Sibly!!!!!!
The more bugs fixed, the better!

Alessandro(Posted 2012) [#13]
Wow! Do you mean I will be able to implement my dream:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=96982

Is it true?
I will contact you with email just to be sure I will not conflict with your license!!!
Thank you!

matibee(Posted 2012) [#14]
Thanks Mark.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2012) [#15]
Ahh, Glasshopper! You have not yet learned the way of the bb.com forumite! For when there is no more to bitch about, new problems must be invented, and bitch about those instead!

(I'm [probably] joking, obviously) :D

No worries mate :)
I know we can all potentially bitch one day or another, but did you already feel the magic of having headaches on a workaround for a bug and the next day seeing an update of your favorite tool fixing the problem?

+This update seem's to be really appreciated.
Nice :D

See you to the next bitchin thread M. Farkey (the farthest the better).

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#16]
I'm curious to know why the suddent open source of the BRL modules. but the good thing is that anyone can start now a port of brl max modules to monkey and even make the monkeymax target a free target for all blitzmax users . Monkey compiler is opensource and public domain, monkeymax is too, soo... This opens a very interesting door... we'll see...

Htbaa(Posted 2012) [#17]
It could also mean Mark is saying "here, now you're free to use the source of the modules, make your own damn 64-bit version of BlitzMax" :-)

GfK(Posted 2012) [#18]
See you to the next bitchin thread M. Farkey (the farthest the better).
Please, call me Sheargal.

Grey Alien(Posted 2012) [#19]
Great, thanks for listening and fixing that bug Mark!

Armitage 1982(Posted 2012) [#20]
What are you gonna do Jake?
Continue using 16 Channel only or let it go? I can tell you it's rock solid now :)

ProfJake(Posted 2012) [#21]
My prayers have been heard! : D

Noobody(Posted 2012) [#22]
Awesome! Thanks, Mark.

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#23]
It could also mean Mark is saying "here, now you're free to use the source of the modules, make your own damn 64-bit version of BlitzMax" :-)

You got the source to the BlitzMax compiler by any chance? If so, either share with us, or add a 64-bit flag for us. Then we can make 64-bit stuff.

As long as Your Siblyness doesn't give us that vital piece of software in 64-bit, we won't see anything in 64-bit.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#24]
You got the source to the BlitzMax compiler by any chance?

Isnt the source for bmk under blitzmax/src/bmk?

Htbaa(Posted 2012) [#25]
Yes it is.

Grey Alien(Posted 2012) [#26]
What are you gonna do Jake?
Stick with 16 channels because I know it's under control. I sometimes create another channel, say on the options screen as a slider sound effect, so now I know users won't crash the sound if they go into options 256 times :-)

Richard Betson(Posted 2012) [#27]
Awesome!!! Way to go Mark!

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#28]
bmk is not the compiler. bcc is the compiler. the bmk tool is just a command-line compiler front-end afaik. So, the compiler is still closed source and propietary. It is a commercial product, so this is somehow expected.

John G(Posted 2012) [#29]
Are we moving toward democracy? Kinda scary. Who will anoint 'official release' of BMax?

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#30]
@John G: As long as we need the BlitzMax compiler to compile them, I can't see how this could be bad for BRL, and at the same time, it could help the community with fixes and addaptations. I'm not sure if this is related to this: http://code.google.com/p/diddy/wiki/MonkeyMax (but not sure if this is the "detonator" of the license change, or more than Mark is focused more on Monkey but want BlitzMax to keep on growing and improving). Im my honest opinion, opensourcing a compiler or library is never a bad idea.

Last edited 2012

siread(Posted 2012) [#31]
Just updated to v1.48 after upgrading to Lion/Xcode 4.3.2 and get the error "sh: gcc: command not found" when building. What do I need to do to get it compiling again?

d-bug(Posted 2012) [#32]
Open XCode Preferences, go to Downloads section and install the command line tools.

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#33]
After downloading and "installing" xcode, you still need to manually browse to the folder and run the installer (again), IIRC.

siread(Posted 2012) [#34]
Thanks, works perfectly now. :)