box2d Module - v2.3.0 rev(247)

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/box2d Module - v2.3.0 rev(247)

Armitage 1982(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi

Since the box2d module from Brucey is outdated, last week I started to port the last svn to BlitzMax.

http://code.google.com/p/arme-mod/

Only a few class and the Hello World example are currently ported.
It's "working" but unfortunately I do not get the expected result when running that example.
The example create a ground object and a dynamic box over it. Normally the box should collide when falling but he's not (pass through).

I think it's coming from the fixtureDef.SetShape(dynamicBox) line.
Using a fixture is another way to create a body.
If I use the same method with ground for my box, collision is happening.

But using a fixture won't work and fixtureDef.GetShape() return null so I guess SetShape isn't really working the way it should.

If somebody can help me to figure out what's going on, I could continue my work on this.

Thank you !

Armitage 1982(Posted 2012) [#2]
YES !
I found my error :D

My bmx_b2fixturedef_create declaration was returning an :Object while it should return a :byte ptr (since it's the only way to operate with C++ Objects).

The compiler never report a single warning for that kind of error, this making the task more difficult, but it's doable :)

Last edited 2012

Rixarn(Posted 2012) [#3]
Nice thing that you're working on that module Armitage! Are you gonna make it open source?

Armitage 1982(Posted 2012) [#4]
Yeah probably, only if I get something decent and complete.
That way C++ Guru will be able to improve, rectify mistakes and update from the original library.

It's going to be long so don't hold your breath ;)

Armitage 1982(Posted 2012) [#5]
I successfully port 2 testbed examples with debug draw and all.

Erin adds so many Callback, Class, Struct, Enum and undocumented stuff everywhere that I'm seriously loosing myself in this library :(

I'm currently bugging at the implementation of the b2QueryCallback.

For some complex behaviors like pre-solving or world query you need to double the amount of code and worst : since you need object callback everywhere, there is so much "bridge" between C++ and BlitzMax that I wondering if it won't be slower than the current one.

There is a few nice new additions in the current version of Box2d rev 250 but it's starting to get too complicated for a physics library...

Already around 8000 lines and I only ported roughly 10% of the whole libs... piouff

Last edited 2012