Segmentation fault on simple test file

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Segmentation fault on simple test file

GSG9(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hello guys,

i compiled the following code on my ubuntu 10.04.4 -32 bit pc

Linux version 2.6.32-38-generic (buildd@zirconium) (gcc version 4.4.3 (Ubuntu 4.4.3-4ubuntu5) ) #83-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jan 4 11:13:04 UTC 2012

bmax version 1.32

SuperStrict

Local e:Object

Try
	Print "TEST"
Catch e:Object
	DebugLog e.tostring()
End Try

?Threaded
	Print "THREADED"
?

when i run it there it works and i get the following output:

TEST
THREADED

but when i move this compiled file to my dedicated server it doesn't and i get the "Segmentation fault" error. Working on a little server software so i must run this program on my dedicated server.

more informations about my dedicated server:

debian 6 - 32 bit

Linux version 2.6.32-5-686-bigmem (Debian 2.6.32-41) (ben@...) (gcc version 4.3.5 (Debian 4.3.5-4) ) #1 SMP Mon Jan 16 16:42:05 UTC 2012

Using built-in specs.
Target: i486-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../src/configure -v --with-pkgversion='Debian 4.4.5-8' --with-bugurl=file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.4/README.Bugs --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++ --prefix=/usr --program-suffix=-4.4 --enable-shared --enable-multiarch --enable-linker-build-id --with-system-zlib --libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.4 --libdir=/usr/lib --enable-nls --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-objc-gc --enable-targets=all --with-arch-32=i586 --with-tune=generic --enable-checking=release --build=i486-linux-gnu --host=i486-linux-gnu --target=i486-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.4.5 (Debian 4.4.5-8)

i hope that someone can help me with that :/

thanks

Last edited 2012

Last edited 2012

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#2]
Does your dedicated server have a graphical GUI, or is it just text mode?

IIRC banshee ran into some probs a while back that her programs refused to run on a server without graphics, even if the program in question didn't initialize a graphics screen.

Don't remember what the fix/workaround for that was.

GSG9(Posted 2012) [#3]
no it doesn't have any graphical gui, i connect only via console (putty)

BlitzSupport(Posted 2012) [#4]
I've had success with multithreaded BlitzMax code on a GUI-less Linux server -- see here

Try using Framework Assistant to minimise the modules you're importing, and of course make sure you're not trying to do anything using the standard BlitzMax graphics modules.

Oh, and make sure you're not building as GUI app!