Polygon textured Border Strip

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Polygon textured Border Strip

Armitage 1982(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi

I would like to realize a textured border triangle strip in Max2D (OpenGL driver).

The image is self explanatory and I even found a proof of concept thanks to Opal engine (unfortunately this game engine is proprietary) :

The idea is to create a strip of textured triangles extruded from a list of vertices.

In Opal there is even the option of choosing whether this border is outside or inside, the size of this border as well as the texture stretch and the angle from which a border is created or not.

I'm more interested by the inside border version.
Also, the quality of the inside border is rather bad in Opal, probably due to corner resolution. One awesome more feature would be rounded corner but the preliminary algorithm is already pretty much dense.

I was wondering if any of you already done this or have useful informations about this algorithm. I already know I will be required to play with normals, angles, rounding and recursion, but since the textured polygons already take me a few days of work I'm just asking ;p

I can live without but it would be so great !
...I wonder if this effect isn't available in the Cairo Module from Brucey, have to check that...

Thanks

Last edited 2012

Armitage 1982(Posted 2012) [#2]

Mission accomplished :D

Not so easy to manage every special cases and the UV Coordinates probably need a bit more work to handle the stretch effect.
But anyway it's intended to be used in specific curvy circumstances similar to the right example so nothing visibly urgent.

I was about to update my Tessellation code archives entries to include this border effect BUT all of my code archives entries has been removed O_o.

I really don't understand why :(
Was the forum hijacked lately?

I remember someone asking me to remove one of my entries because I was using a few functions from other entries (even if I always credit the source) but a few entries was 100% custom code.

Space_guy(Posted 2012) [#3]
Looking good! These effects are not so easy to make but it makes it alot easier and faster to create levels.

Kryzon(Posted 2012) [#4]
Good job man, it's looking great.
I don't know what happened to your code archive entries. Try using the Contact form to see if they have backups.

If they happen to be gone for good, at least you have something very good to start it all again :)

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#5]
Impressive. I saw your problem earlier, but I couldn't think of a way to handle the UVs.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2012) [#6]
Yeah, I don't know either what happen to my code repository :-(

When I do have a little bit of free time I will compulse a module from the best bit of my game and release it on my web-site this time, so I'm sure that nothing will be loose (at least for a moment ^^ Who never need a piece of code and get a 404 raise the hand !).

I still have to dig a bit more for UV correction cause there must be a way to get some near "pixel perfect" results.

Jesse(Posted 2012) [#7]

Yeah, I don't know either what happen to my code repository :-(

I am not so sure but I believe it was you:
I believe I looked at one of your submissions and I think I remember reading a license agreement that you included with the code and that contradicts the license agreement you agreed upon at the time of submission.

I am almost sure it was you. Sorry if it wasn't.

Last edited 2012

Armitage 1982(Posted 2012) [#8]
That was the case for one entry indeed, but not for all :-)
Anyway, no big deal, it's just bits of code not nuclear weaponry.