Image Rescale - help please...

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Image Rescale - help please...

AvestheFox(Posted 2012) [#1]
okay, so I'm trying to set up a system where the program reads and loads images from a directory and then draws them to an editor palette.

my current obstacle is trying to get the software to scale the images down to a certain size.

I need to scale the image down to 32x32 regardless of its original dimensions but because the Blitz Max scale system works in such a way I'm having a hard time formulating a code that would fit my needs.

I dont understand why I cant just easily set the x and y scale and be done with it.

can somebody help me out here?

col(Posted 2012) [#2]
Hmm, I thought you'd be able to use some basic calculus with that, no?

Use the size you want divided by the image original size to give you a scale factor to use.

32/64 = 0.5, so scale the original image by 0.5
32/128 = 0.25

You obviously need to deal x and y separately.
Something tells me that there's more to your problem than that though ;-)

AvestheFox(Posted 2012) [#3]
Yeah, I've used that basic logic and other things, but no matter what I cant get it down to what I want. :P

GfK(Posted 2012) [#4]
You need to have one side (at least) of the equation as a float, in order to return a float as the result. Otherwise you'll get 0 every time.

AvestheFox(Posted 2012) [#5]
I've got all the related values as floats already :P

AvestheFox(Posted 2012) [#6]
here's what I've got so far...

Last edited 2012

ima747(Posted 2012) [#7]
SetScale rescale_y,rescale_x <- This is backwards you're setting y scale for x and x scale for y...

Do you really want 32x32, or do you want to preserve the image's aspect ratio with a 32x32 maximum? If you want to preserve the aspect ratio you need to get the scale values and then just use the smallest one for both x and y scale.

AvestheFox(Posted 2012) [#8]
oh hey, wow! I did not see that mistake!

and fixing it causes everything to work as desired!

thank you! thank you! thank you! :D!!!!!

GfK(Posted 2012) [#9]
Lol

AvestheFox(Posted 2012) [#10]
the funny thing is... I dont even know HOW I got that backwards! :O