Database module (bah.dbmysql) buggy?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Database module (bah.dbmysql) buggy?

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hey Blitzers,

short question. I'm working on a game that requires MySQL interaction. Now I noticed that for almost all queries I run with Brucey's database module, incorrect data is returned, or results of queries just vanish.

When I run the exact same queries through a PHP page, it works as intended - so it's not a question about the queries.

Anyone ever noticed something like that?

Zeke(Posted 2012) [#2]
maybe this should go to bruceys module section..

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#3]
In that case, can one of the mods/admins move this please?

Rixarn(Posted 2012) [#4]
SystemError,

Brucey's MySQL module license is GPL, unless your game is also GPL you better rethink about using that module for a closed-commercial product.

What I do (My App needed interaction with mysql databases) is to code all the mysql stuff in the server side using a php file, and use Brucey's libcurl to make all the requests from my app.

Leon Drake(Posted 2012) [#5]
i think that when you go as far as to see what you find in this you discover that it is when you can do this time for it is that which you can be at is.

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#6]
i think that when you go as far as to see what you find in this you discover that it is when you can do this time for it is that which you can be at is.

I think you just blue-screened my brain's language parsing lobe.

Leon Drake(Posted 2012) [#7]
Wow i musta been really drunk when i wrote that

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#8]
Rixarn,

I think you misunderstand the GPL. I can use GPL sources as long as I mention the use and the original author, in commercial products. Besides, as long as I don't sell the exact same thing under a different name and claim me to be the author, no violation of the GPL has occured.

Does the GPL allow me to sell copies of the program for money?

Yes, the GPL allows everyone to do this. The right to sell copies is part of the definition of free software. Except in one special situation, there is no limit on what price you can charge. (The one exception is the required written offer to provide source code that must accompany binary-only release.)

Does the GPL allow me to charge a fee for downloading the program from my site?

Yes. You can charge any fee you wish for distributing a copy of the program. If you distribute binaries by download, you must provide “equivalent access” to download the source—therefore, the fee to download source may not be greater than the fee to download the binary.

Source:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DoesTheGPLAllowMoney

Last edited 2012

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#9]
I think you misunderstand the GPL. I can use GPL sources as long as I mention the use and the original author, in commercial products.

There is a caveat, though: using GPLed code in your own program also requires you to release your own program under the GPL as well. Yes, you are allowed to charge however much you want for it, BUT the GPL also requires you to provide full source code of your program free of charge to anyone who asks.

(That's the reason the GPL is sometimes to referred to as a 'viral' license)

LGPL on the other hand does allow you to statically link libraries into your program without having to open up your own code.

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#10]
No. It does not. Windows and Mac OS X also use GPL code.

Rixarn(Posted 2012) [#11]
I agree with xlsior. Besides, there is a difference between using a GPL code in a "static" or "dynamic" way. A GPL code that comes in a DLL does little to no harm as far as I know... but using it in a static way is not the same... Brucey's MySQL module is linked at runtime.

From the link you gave, just to give an example of the 'virality' we speak of the GPL:

You have a GPL'ed program that I'd like to link with my code to build a proprietary program. Does the fact that I link with your program mean I have to GPL my program? (#LinkingWithGPL)

Not exactly. It means you must release your program under a license compatible with the GPL (more precisely, compatible with one or more GPL versions accepted by all the rest of the code in the combination that you link). The combination itself is then available under those GPL versions.
If so, is there any chance I could get a license of your program under the Lesser GPL? (#SwitchToLGPL)

You can ask, but most authors will stand firm and say no. The idea of the GPL is that if you want to include our code in your program, your program must also be free software. It is supposed to put pressure on you to release your program in a way that makes it part of our community.

You always have the legal alternative of not using our code.

But anyway, it's your game after all. If you feel you are right about how the GPL license works then go for it man :)

Answering to your original question, I don't have a clue about that :(

I went for the server side solution: run php scripts from server and do the communcation with the app via libcurl

Last edited 2012

Last edited 2012

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#12]
I went for the server side solution: run php scripts from server and do the communcation with the app via libcurl

I'm doing it a bit like that now too.

Last edited 2012

BlitzSupport(Posted 2012) [#13]

It does, if you release your program containing GPL code to the public.

Windows (and possibly OS X) do use BSD-derived code, which doesn't require release of source. Any GPL code they use gets source released, eg. Microsoft accidentally used GPL code in an installation tool and therefore released the source.

DrDeath(Posted 2012) [#14]

It does. Guess why Apple released OS X's underlying Unix parts as Open Source.

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#15]
Microsoft in general dislikes the concept of the GPL -- the example posted by BlitzSupport above is the only one I've ever heard of where they inadvertently used GPL code, and even then they did the right thing and released the source code of the tool after it was pointed out to them.
When that one happened it hit a ton of online news outlets, because it was news, not just business as usual for Microsoft.

They do use quite a bit of BSD code though, most notably in the windows TCP/IP stack, and a bunch of smaller utilities like the command line FTP client (ftp.exe), nslookup.exe, finger.exe, vmnetdhcp.exe and others.
BSD is *much* more lenient for a closed-source company like Microsoft: the only requirement it has is that you include the (short) BSD license and author credit in the source code. You are not required to publicly release the sourcecode (unlike GPL), so in many cases people will never even known that BSD code was used in a program.

Do you have any other examples of why you think Microsoft used GPL code in windows itself?

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#16]
I think we should edit the subject of this thread into "GPL and which commercial software uses it to some extent?".

The intend was not to start a flame war about the GPL. The intend was to know (initially) whether or not there is a problem with Brucey's Database module.

Either way - my issue is solved.

Last edited 2012