Auto Update per developer or per app..

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Auto Update per developer or per app..

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2012) [#1]
Just thought I would open up a little discussion on this subject, for a while now I have been thinking about adding some sort of launcher to my code, be it games or applications, the launcher would then check the version installed, and compare it with the latest version stored on the server, and then download and update the local version if needed.

But I was thinking about weather this should be a global launcher which I can bundle with all my work, where it would just check and track installed apps, or if I should hardcode or have it independently work for each individual app.

My initial feeling is that I should create a launcher tool which stands alone with its own install path, which then tracks any further apps or games a user installs from us and keeps them upto date.

anyone else got an opinion on this ?

Another few things to think about is user registration, should the launcher require a user to login so that it can download the updates, or should the download call from the launcher be calling a direct link to the download or a php file which handles the download.

lots of things to consider, would love to hear some opinions from people that have this functionality already in place.

Dabhand(Posted 2012) [#2]
I would probably just bundle the launcher/online checking/downloading code into its own module (So its reusable for other apps), build it into the executable and when it's running, let it work on the application in question, rather then having a look at other installed apps.

Why, well, say I have 5 of your apps installed, one I use all the time, a few now and again, and one in a blue moon... When I open the one I want to use, that means, I want to just fire it up and get on with it, fair do's if it does a little update on the app I'm using, but, if I have to sit and wait while it updates other stuff too and I'm sitting twiddling me thumbs, it would put me off.

Fussy yes, and heres me sitting on a half decent broadband connection, but, if I was using something that was only downloading at 3-5kb/s and it was doing that, I wouldnt bother with it.

Granted, this is all sorta based on speculation, but, its just my 2 pence worth! ;)

Dabz

Last edited 2012

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#3]
In my experience, I would say it is better to have a separate update process for each app. Specially if this update system has to deal with licenses verification. If the update process is part of the app itself, then it's much better, becouse this way the update service will be able to self-update. Also, the less bandwith it uses, the better for the final user. I would also suggest you to make this service as much uninstrusive as possible. I hate it when I have to launch an external app in order to see if there are updates, then, download the update, launch it manually, pass the UAC dialog, then pass the install process, then launch the application again just to see there's another patch available...
If you make it simple and user friendly, it'll be much better and you'll have an updated users base.