Auto Build Number

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Auto Build Number

Shagwana(Posted 2011) [#1]
What do you think is the best way to got about implementing a automatic build number system for bmx programs?

By this, what I would like to see is every time I compile the main source file; a constant 'BUILD' is increased.

At the moment, I coded a few lines into a main application that rewrites a single source file with "Const iBUILD:Int = "+String(iBUILD+1)
This is not perfect because the version number of the application is one less then the version number on the source files. If you forget to comment out the lines responsible, then the final build will also try and generate the above files as well.

I am now thinking of diddling the compile tools to make them execute a pre-compile .bat file. Then the bat file could do what I need and maybe.

You guys got any other ideas?

Yan(Posted 2011) [#2]
http://blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=90110

??

Shagwana(Posted 2011) [#3]
That looks like what I be needing!, ta.

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#4]
I know BLIde allows setting version numbers (x.x.x format) but I don't believe it can auto-increment.

Is it really important though? Simply tag your version in your SCM repository, compile and release?

Shagwana(Posted 2011) [#5]
No its not that important, just something I would like to get working all auto-magicaly. Key is to work smarter, not harder.