Must have Mods for BlitzMax?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Must have Mods for BlitzMax?

Amon(Posted 2011) [#1]
Can people list what Mods they find useful and what they deem as must have Mods for BlitzMax?

It would be nice to compile a list of essential Mods to have; Mods you shouldn't be without, for BlitzMax and have them all in this thread for easy access. I don't mind hosting these Mods on my server.

GW(Posted 2011) [#2]
Here's my short list. I use some to most of these in every project (too lazy for hyperlinks).

Bah.Persistence
Bah.libtcod
Lugi
odd.d3d9
otus.lzma

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#3]
"must have" mods greatly depend on what kind of programs/games you typically create, but personally I find these useful:

bah.regex
bah.theoraplayer
bah.libxml
bah.crypto
bah.dbsqlite
koriolis.zipstream
maxmod2
fmc.systemtray (which sadly broke with the recent MinGW update)

Armitage 1982(Posted 2011) [#4]
odd.odd2d (missing features of Max2D like MOD2XBLEND, fix for virtual resolutions, zoom a, rotation, etc.)
odd.glodd2d (OpenGL driver for odd2d, why stick to DX when you can Crossplatform ?)
bah.libxml (parse xml file)
bah.locale (handy tool+functions to translate text in multiple language)
bah.cegui (regular expressions)
bah.freeimage (support for popular graphics image formats and great Image manipulation)

Special mention to (because not up-to-date sadly) :
bah.box2d (A 2D Physics Engine for Games)
bah.cegui (Crazy Eddie's GUI)

I found this topic a must to read !

Last edited 2011

therevills(Posted 2011) [#5]
Instead of just listing the names of the mods, could you guys also give a short description of what they do (of course you can guess some by their name).

Oddball(Posted 2011) [#6]
The mods I use consistently in my projects are,

bah.Persistence - A 'catch all' serialisation mod.
odd.Odd2D - An extension to Max2D

Last edited 2011

Midimaster(Posted 2011) [#7]
koriolis.zipstream to pack all files for the game in one ZIP and add it to the exe (INCBIN), so that only one file remains.

BaH.Volumes to get the path to the User-Directories. Import under Win-7, because it is not longer allowed to save things to the app-dir.

sidesign.minib3d to use B3D-commands for a real 3D-game

Zeke(Posted 2011) [#8]
zeke.tinyfont:

and zeke.luajit: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=89186

Last edited 2011

Blueapples(Posted 2011) [#9]
I have a ZIP file that I keep the following modules in. I can't imagine doing any BlitzMax app or game without them:

bah.base64
bah.crypto
bah.database
bah.dbsqlite
bah.format
bah.freeimage
bah.growl
bah.libcurl
bah.libxml
bah.maxunit
bah.regex
bah.volumes

binphx.microc

maxgui

Hardcoal(Posted 2013) [#10]
isnt there a single zip file for all bah modules?
I cant find one

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#11]
isnt there a single zip file for all bah modules?
I cant find one

No... some of them can be downloaded directly from Brucey's website, but to get all of them you have to use SVN to pull them from his repository.

(It adds up to quite a large collection though, the bah.mod folder on my PC is 1.3GB. then there's also Brucey's wx.mod (~800MB) and ofx.mod (260MB)

Arabia(Posted 2013) [#12]
I downloaded Brucey's dbsqlite module again recently to have another play, but there is no licence agreement that I could see, I thought I recalled reading somewhere that you couldn't use it in a commercial product (not that I'm close to releasing anything) - is that right?

Henri(Posted 2013) [#13]
Hello,

SQlite itself is public domain and free to use in commercial product:
See copyright notice

Information about Brucey's module can be found inside main module file (dbsqlite.bmx)

-Henri

Arabia(Posted 2013) [#14]
Thanks Henri, didn't think to look there.