BMax Problems on Mac

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/BMax Problems on Mac

AvestheFox(Posted 2011) [#1]
I'm trying to install BMax on my Mac...

I placed the folder in Applications and tried to run some code. I get this error:
Compile Error

Identifier 'TList' not found

I figured it was an issue with the modules so I tried rebuilding the modules and I saw these two errors in the debug window:

libtool: file: /Applications/BlitzMax/MOD/BRL.MOD/BLITZ.MOD/.bmx/blitz_gc.c.debug.macos.ppc.o has no symbols

and further down:

libtool: file: /Applications/BlitzMax/MOD/BRL.MOD/BLITZ.MOD/.bmx/blitz_gc.c.release.macos.ppc.o has no symbols

I have successfully ran the BMax Demo on this machine before, but this is an error with the latest full version.

I'm using Mac OS X Version 10.3.9 on a 600 MHz PowerPC G3

Any advise here?

Jesse(Posted 2011) [#2]
Do you have xcode Installed?
you need the installation cd or download it from the net.

AvestheFox(Posted 2011) [#3]
Yeah, I had to install it to run the Demo :P

I may need to reinstall it again... though I remember trying to find things for this particular computer to be a pain in the arse.

Its been a year since I installed the dratted thing. and now I have to re-find the installation file :P

Jesse(Posted 2011) [#4]
it might also be where you installed BlitzMax. Try to install it to your user account folder.

Last edited 2011

AvestheFox(Posted 2011) [#5]
Still no luck :( I've tried moving the Blitz folder into the Users folder like you suggested. I also successfully found the xcode setup and tried reinstalling xcode

still the same error and also I've noticed that the coding window that all the code is blue...

I'd actually try to reinstall the demo to see if it'll work but I think my time on it ran out

ima747(Posted 2011) [#6]
Have you tried using a newer install of XCode? If I recall the demo is not up to date and the current release runs best/may require a newer version of xcode than is required for the demo (again, being that the demo is dated if I am recalling it correctly...)

AvestheFox(Posted 2011) [#7]
ima747

using a Mac 10.3.9 and on an old Power PC I'm forced to use XCode 1.5 as that was the last version of xcode that was created for this system. :(

Last edited 2011

AvestheFox(Posted 2011) [#8]
you got me to thinking though... maybe I should downgrade my version of BMax...

I hope this wont effect my current game project or anything silly like that.

what was the last Bmax version that used XCode 1.5?

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#9]
"MOD/BRL.MOD/BLITZ.MOD" ... I'm surprised that works at all with uppercase folders... but one never knows, perhaps BlitzMax really is file-case-insensitive these days..

AvestheFox(Posted 2011) [#10]
@Brucey

Are you suggesting that I need to go fix something there? o.0

AvestheFox(Posted 2011) [#11]
I've downgraded all the way to 1.30 and got it to working.

still, I'd like to figure out what the latest version I can use. might have to spend a few hours downloading and testing each version :P

AvestheFox(Posted 2011) [#12]
Okay, apparently the problem was how I downloaded it and transported it from a Windows based pc to a thumb-drive and then to the mac powerpc.

apparently that somehow corrupted the download...

I now have the latest version of BMax running just by simply downloading it from the website to the mac powerpc directly :P

Yay me

Jesse(Posted 2011) [#13]

apparently that somehow corrupted the download...

oh! just so you'll know, even when you download it from a mac you must open the file with the default decompressor. if you use any other decompressor tool you will run into the same problem.
just keep that in mind.