BlitzMax App crashes when launched from Steam

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/BlitzMax App crashes when launched from Steam

Tachyon(Posted 2011) [#1]
So ever since MacOS Lion came out, my games (Eschalon 1 & 2) crash when launched from the Steam client.

The games worked fine under Snow Leopard & Steam. It was only after Mac Steam users started updating to Lion last month that I started getting complaints.

So I've recompiled the games under the latest version of BlitzMax, but even after uploading these new recompiled versions to Steam, they still crash when launched.

They DO NOT crash when launched outside of Steam, using the normal .app that BlitzMax produces. But when they are loaded onto Steam, then launched from the client, they crash.

Has anyone else seen this? Any suggestions? I could post the crash log if anyone here thinks they can gain insight from it.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2011) [#2]
..im about to cross in to Steam 'space' and my game is compiled with Bmax and i would like to know more about issues you have..

Tachyon(Posted 2011) [#3]
I don't have much to report, except:

BlitzMax + Lion = Works.

BlitzMax + Steam + Snow Leopard = Works.

BlitzMax + Steam + Lion = Crash.

Like I said, I can post a crash log if that might help anyone diagnose this. I've sent an email off to the Steam engineers in the hope that they may be able to help. There were a number of games that failed on Steam + Lion after Lion was released a few weeks ago. They may be able to give us some guidance on fixing this.

For the record, my games are very strict BlitzMax code. In my code I don't do anything "outside" of the normal set of BlitzMax native commands. I am running 1.43b on the Mac.

Last edited 2011

skidracer(Posted 2011) [#4]
Post the crash log.

VomitOnLino(Posted 2011) [#5]
I think I can help you.

I had to combat some strange crash issues in Lion for my game going to the App store.

I don't know if it is the same problem for you, but they sound somewhat similar. Basically the gist of it is that Lion (OS X 10.7) or more specifically Lion's GL stack--seems to hate it when you change the graphics object, or write/modify the (back)buffers before doing a Flip.

It always led to crashes, always.

My fix was to set a flag, and then only do these kind of things after the CLS...FLIP enclosure, never inside it. That made it 100% stable and crash free.

If you have any other questions, as I don't come here all too regularly feel free to hit me up on: hello a.t manuelvandyck dot. com

Last edited 2011

Tachyon(Posted 2011) [#6]
Right now I'm waiting on a response from Steam. It seams they may not have loaded the latest compiled (on BlitzMax 1.43b) version of my game.

As soon as I can confirm that they have loaded the latest (proper) version, I will let everyone know if it still crashes or not. I CAN confirm, however, that apps compiled with prior versions of BlitzMax DO crash through Steam. I'm just hoping Mark's recent Lion fixes correct whatever problem might be there.