Icon for executable

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Icon for executable

Tharmon(Posted 2011) [#1]
Just switched from PureBasic to BlitzMax for compiling my chess program. Blitz has a 50% speed increase, very cool! But I'm missing some easy way to include icons for executables. And inline Assembler with access to variables and arrays would also be great. I know it can be done somehow with gcc, but I'm not very fit in this resources thing. Hopefully BlitzMax will have some more options to make coding more flexible. The help file is a chaos, here PureBasic has some advantages. For 3D stuff there is no way around DarkBasic Professional, so for every project the right compiler.

Jesse(Posted 2011) [#2]
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=53338#595882

Czar Flavius(Posted 2011) [#3]
There are some ways to do it but there is a BlitzMax editor you can get called Blide. The profesional edition of Blide comes with a tool to automatically attach the icon to the program exe, so you never have to hassle with it. But the program isn't free. You can do it for free but you'll need to follow a guide someone will have to link you.

If you run Blitz in strict mode it's even faster. Put Strict on the beginning of your program. Now you must declare all variables before use and specify their type (float, string, TImage etc) unless they are ints. But the code is even more efficient.

I don't know what you mean by inline assembler with access to those things. How do you want the coding to be more flexible? You can import C/C++ functions to your program but I just prefer to write the whole thing in Blitz. I've never had a compelling reason not to.

The documentation could do with more explanation but the basic facts are in there. Reading and posting on the forums is the best way to learn. You can find a ton of tips you'd never get from just reading the help.

You can get third party 3D modules, both free and commercial, for BlitzMax. But nothing out of the box.

Tharmon(Posted 2011) [#4]
thx