I want language features of Monkey

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/I want language features of Monkey

kiami(Posted 2011) [#1]
I think it is fair to ask to have Monkey's language features added to BlitzMax. Here I am specifically talking about generics and function overloading. I am willing to pay $20 for Blitzmax upgrade. You can call it BlitzMax II.

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#2]
I think it's fair to ask. I also think it's fair for Mark to say no.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2011) [#3]
It's not often the market research comes to you. I'd pay $100+ for some of these features. I'd pay $100 for an improved debugger alone. Going from MS Visual Studio debugging to debugging BlitzMax is very hard.

Last edited 2011

Jesse(Posted 2011) [#4]
It's also fair to say that if he didn't do it when he spend plenty of time in it(there were plenty of requests for such), I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for him to update now.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2011) [#5]
A lot of these features could be added ourselves using an advanced pre-processor of sorts.

kiami(Posted 2011) [#6]
Flavis,

I don't know about Monkey's debugging feature. Does it have better debugger?

xcessive(Posted 2011) [#7]
I would definitely pay for the above mentioned features.

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#8]
I don't know about Monkey's debugging feature. Does it have better debugger?

*cough*

therevills(Posted 2011) [#9]
Does it have better debugger?

Debugger!?? DEBUGGER!?!? MUUHHAA HHHAAAA HHHAAAA HHHHAAA!!

Errr... sorry ;)

Czar Flavius(Posted 2011) [#10]
Doesn't monkey have a debugger? I haven't tried it.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#11]
No, Monkey doesnt have a debugger... but most of the targets do - so you write Monkey code, compile into your target eg Android, if you then want to do it you've got to use lots of Print statements in Monkey or load up Eclipse and try to debug it that way ;)

Last edited 2011

shinkiro1(Posted 2011) [#12]
Print is monkey's best friend ;)

kiami(Posted 2011) [#13]
OK, let me explain it now.

I began a project last week and I picked Blitzmax after three years. Yesterday, I realized I am using DrawText a lot, then I made a function using only Text(). Then, I became interested in writing different forms of Text(), one of them with color, but I found Blitzmax can do only with one form, so I wrote TextC(). Then, I searched to see if people have come to this kind of situation. I found Blitzmax doesn't have this feature, but Monkey does. So I decided to put that comment up there. I use all kinds of languages for different projects all of them small and non-profit.

So, what is extra to Monkey's language is good to have with Blitzmax, since it has already been worked out. I thought paying extra for having new features are fair. That simple, no grievance, just a feature request. I code for PC only, so I don't need Monkey as a substitute for Blitzmax.

About the debugger, in my case, print statement is OK for now. If I find I need real debugging, I will convert the project to C++ or C#. But, I am just simulating the core of an economic theory and the software is not at all big. It is actually finished and only the XY-Charts are left. I fully understand debugging frustrations, but perhaps some people have limited usages so they have limited demands, just like my case.

TomToad(Posted 2011) [#14]
You could always do something like this:

Function Text(MyText:String,ColorR:Int = -1, ColorG:int = -1, ColorB:Int = -1)
     If ColorR < 0
          DoNonColorPrinting()
     Else
          DoColorPrinting()
     End If
End Function

That way, you can use Text() for both non color and color version. It won't help in all situations where overloading is useful, but it does help in many.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2011) [#15]
What's wrong with DrawText? It supports colour.

kiami(Posted 2011) [#16]
TomRoad, that's good too, thanks!