Available memory functions?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Available memory functions?

col(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hiya all,

I'm sure there were some commands to return the amount of graphics memory available, but I can't find them anywhere!

Or am I thinking of B3D ? lol

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#2]
You're thinking B3D -- under Blitzmax, there are no commands to retrieve that information.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2011) [#3]
I can't even find any tools that reliably give me this information. If anybody knows, please tell me. You'd think this wouldn't be such a mystery, computers being precise to the last bit and all.

Last edited 2011

ima747(Posted 2011) [#4]
Theres nothing reliable, I spent a loooooooong time looking for a solution but came up empty handed. The ait and nvidia drivers have low level methods to retrieve the info but it has to be implemented in a bespoke way for each. Intel doesn't to my knowledge. Direct x has a query method but it's unreliable at best in my experience. OpenGL doesn't report it, the best solution I found was to just create textures until they fail then you should know mow much you used... But some systems can use virtual memory for VRAM... So that's unreliable too. On Mac you can theoretically query the system for a real number but sometimes it under or over reported when I tried to implement it... So... Yea... Boned.

Please someone prove me wrong :0) I think my thread on this was in th minib3d forum.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2011) [#5]
The ait and nvidia drivers have low level methods to retrieve the info but it has to be implemented in a bespoke way for each.
What does this mean? It doesn't matter if it's customised to only my own PC, I just want to find out!

col(Posted 2011) [#6]
Hmm, ok.

TBH, I'm not so worried about it, I just thought I was going mad with not finding them :D

I'll have a look into it to see what infos I can dredge up.

Cheers guys.

col(Posted 2011) [#7]
Just tried a tool from the card manufaturer and that doesnt even report accurately too. I loaded in one of my demos that I know loads vertex and index buffers and also textures to the card, but the tool just reported no change in GPU memory but a change in CPU memory. lol.

If they can't get it right what chance do we have :D

Oh well.....
I guess a basic usage would be suffice rather than knowing what's left.