Mac build issues...my bad...!

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Mac build issues...my bad...!

marksibly(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi,

Ok, just posting this to correct something I mistakenly said earlier regarding building bmx apps on MacOS, and that was that you need to build apps on the lowest OS version you plan to run them on.

This is incorrect, and has been since the 10.5 upgrade. You can in fact build MacOS apps on any OS version and expect them to run on any other OS version (from Tiger to Lion). It's probably best to use the lastest OS version possible though, as this is likely to include the best/most optimized compilers and libraries.

However, you should still test any app you plan to release publicly on all OS versions you expect it to be run on.

Note that this is true only for apps - 'archive' files must be created on the lowest OS version you plan to use them with. This should not matter to 99% of developers though.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#2]
*releases the hounds*

:)

therevills(Posted 2011) [#3]
This is incorrect, and has been since the 10.5 upgrade

expect them to run on any other OS version (from Tiger to Lion).

Why since 10.5 as Tiger is 10.4?

ima747(Posted 2011) [#4]
I would assume a version name mismatch... when in doubt follow the numbers, lord knows I can't remember the "name" of the version I'm running most of the time :0)

marksibly(Posted 2011) [#5]
Hi,

> Why since 10.5 as Tiger is 10.4?

Because that's when I fixed it. Before that, you needed to build things on 10.3.9 if you wanted them to run on both 10.3.9 and 10.4.

All clear?

therevills(Posted 2011) [#6]
Because that's when I fixed it

Ahh something you did... I thought it might have been something Apple changed in v10.5.

Pete Carter(Posted 2011) [#7]
Thanks for clearing that up, that's one less reason for me to put off upgrading my mac to lion.

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#8]
Great, thanks for the clarification Mark!