MaxIDE broken - how to compile without IDE?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/MaxIDE broken - how to compile without IDE?

GfK(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hello. Was going to post in the MacOS forum but I suppose the answer could apply to Windows to, soo....

Suppose I have a file, main.bmx - how can I compile that from commandline, in Release mode, without threading? I ask because I've recently upgraded to OSX Lion, and MaxIDE doesn't work any more. To add to the dilemma, my game is in for evaluation and if I need to provide another build, I'm pretty badly screwed at present, as far as the Mac build is concerned.

Had a brief look through the docs but I don't rightly know what it is I'm looking for.

Zeke(Posted 2011) [#2]
bmk makeapp -r main.bmx

or set output file
bmk makeapp -r -o MyGame main.bmx

GfK(Posted 2011) [#3]
don't I need to add full paths to the bmx file etc?

(I'm a complete idiot with Macs)

Zeke(Posted 2011) [#4]
im using windows and i have set bmax/bin folder to "PATH" env variable. so i can use bmk in any folder, and no need to use Full path.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2011) [#5]
On the Mac you'll probably have to call it Unix-style, ie. prefix with ./:

./bmk makeapp main.bmx

You can add any number of these after "makeapp":

-d Build debug version. This is the default.
-r Build release version. By default, the debug version is built.
-h Build multithreaded version. By default, the single threaded version is built.
-a Recompile all source files regardless of timestamp. By default, only files modified since the last makeapp are recompiled.
-o OutputFile Specify output file. By default, the output file is placed into the same directory as the root source file.
-t AppType Specify application type. Should be either 'console' or 'gui' (without single quote!).

... eg. build release version, multithreaded and rebuild all project files:

./bmk makeapp -r -h -a main.bmx

I would 'cd' to the folder where the main file is, then as long as bmk is in your path it should build. (Can't remember how you deal with paths on the Mac, but you can just add the full path to bmk after the ./ prefix.)

Alternatively, you could cd to the bmk folder and pass it the full path to the source file instead. This might actually be easier.

Last edited 2011

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#6]
*cough*

I'll never understand why folks use command line stuff when you can just click a button.

Last edited 2011

skidracer(Posted 2011) [#7]
GfK, as Mark has already posted, building BlitzMax apps under Lion introduces other problems to do with the new SDK that he is currently working on solving.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#8]
GfK, as Mark has already posted, building BlitzMax apps under Lion introduces other problems to do with the new SDK that he is currently working on solving
So... calling bmk from the commandline won't work either???

Bugger. :/