Gnet Server/Client - Router Setup

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Gnet Server/Client - Router Setup

Richard Betson(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi,

I'm trying to get a GNET server and client working. I can connect locally but no other non-local client can reach the server. I have tried disabling the firewalls (including Windows) and also enabled port forwarding (firewall enabled) with no luck.

I am using a DSL modem and a wireless Belkin 150n (I know Belkin ek) router on Win7.

I am open to suggestions? Perhaps a guide to router setup behind a DSL modem that's easy to understand or? But I've tried everything I can think of short of getting my 20 gauge shotgun out an blowing it away.

I'm planning to use Tnet but I'm having trouble getting that going and I'm waiting on an email from Tbit. In the mean time I'm trying Gnet.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited 2011

Richard Betson(Posted 2011) [#2]
I have bridged my DSL modem so that I am not running two routers. And were learning. :) Fingers crossed.

Sub_Zero(Posted 2011) [#3]
well then you probably have NAT on your router....
Set up port forwarding pointing to you internal (eg. 192.168.0.5) ip address and the port will then forward to your internal ip fram the external(global one)..... it should be pretty easy

Czar Flavius(Posted 2011) [#4]
Use Hamachi.

Richard Betson(Posted 2011) [#5]
Cool. Is this software analogous to 'Hole-Punching" I've read about? Might give it a try.

Thanks,

Czar Flavius(Posted 2011) [#6]
It's a virtual private network. You and your friends install it, and then create a "network" which is a bit like a chat room, with a name and password. Everybody in the chatroom is given a virtual hamachi IP address. You can enter this IP address in games and it works with much better success than other methods.