Gnet internet connection anomaly...

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Gnet internet connection anomaly...

BinaryBurst(Posted 2011) [#1]
Soo...
Here's what happens.
I have a game that has multiplayer.
NOBODY can connect to each other on the internet{not lan},but there's something sttrange happening....
People can connect to the computer I developed the game on....
I think it's because I tested the game at least 1000 times on that computer, meaning I connected to myself 1000 times on 127.0.0.1 and ...
it seems that it works eventually on that computer, so...
If anybody can make a program that connects to the same program 1000 times and then try it on a real connection....

Oddball(Posted 2011) [#2]
Sounds like the router's firewire is denying the connection. Get the people who are having trouble hosting a game to forward the games port on their router. It is also sometimes called a virtual server on some routers.

Here are the settings I had to use to forward the port for my game Arguementor.

Of course they'll need to enter their own local ip and port.

Last edited 2011

BinaryBurst(Posted 2011) [#3]
well...
here's the thing: i don't have a router on any of my computers... :)
though the one of them works surprisingly well... {?!}

Last edited 2011

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#4]
Are you running any firewall on the computer, including the built-in windows firewall that's enabled by default?

If so, it's quite likely that it's blocking the incoming external connections.

BinaryBurst(Posted 2011) [#5]
i've tested it while it was turned off
it is definetly not a firewall problem :)

Czar Flavius(Posted 2011) [#6]
Try using Hamachi. I never even try to connect over the internet anymore. It just doesn't work.

BinaryBurst(Posted 2011) [#7]
i want a way to connect on the internet by my blitz game only.
i've tested the 1000 times connect and it worked on the second computer (meaning sb can connect to me), but.. when the other guy tested it on his computer i couldn't connect to him...

Czar Flavius(Posted 2011) [#8]
That depends on if he has any firewalls or routers etc.

Hamachi is a vpn, in other words it emulates a lan over the interent. Get you and your friend to download Hamachi, create a network and join the same network. Now connect to each other using the Hamachi IP address provided. Hamachi can connect through a lot of complicated setups involving routers etc much easily than connecting directly. Isn't the internet great?

BinaryBurst(Posted 2011) [#9]
yup i think i've got this
there are three posibilities:
1.he has only windows firewall
2.he has antivirus firewall
3.he has firewall and router

The 1st and 2nd works perfectly by just letting it connect, letting the firewall create a rule. I don't have a router and i'm in these situations on all 3 computers sooo... that's why it works for me without the 1000 times connection test.

The 3rd can be resolved by port forwarding.

Well... there are still problems when he has done all of these and still doesn't work.that means he can't host a game over the internet because nobody will be able to connect to him but he will be able to connect ot others that could resolve the problem

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011