Monitoring Windows Internet Data?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Monitoring Windows Internet Data?

po(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hey,

Is there a way in BlitzMax to sift through data being received by windows internet browsers (IE, Firefox, Chrome)? As in, in a running BlitzMax app, detect what website a user is browsing in real time, and read the HTML of the pages visited? I'm guessing it can't be done natively, and that it varies from browser to browser, unless there was something standard in all browsers between the browser and the web...

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks!

Czar Flavius(Posted 2011) [#2]
I'm worried a virus scanner or firewall might have a fit about something like this, as you are essentially intercepting data intended for another application. If your program accepts data from the same port as another program, maybe you could get the data that way?

skidracer(Posted 2011) [#3]
I would try looking into the details of implementing/running a proxy server which the browser can then be configured to use.

po(Posted 2011) [#4]
Good point Czar, thanks skid. I suppose it is a little sketchy!

Shortwind(Posted 2011) [#5]
What your describing specifically is a packet sniffer. Modern firewalls basically already do this in a sense. So, in the simplest terms, you could write a service driver that could log all traffic in and out of the system.

Programs like this already exist, so perhaps you can get clearer ideas of how it is accomplished by looking at their source code. (Of course this is all going to be in c/c++...)

Good luck.
:D