Project Studio IDE ?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Project Studio IDE ?

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2011) [#1]
Is it still the best free IDE solution for max ? I tried the website but it seems to be gone now, is the project dead or are there still downloads floating around the net ?

TaskMaster(Posted 2011) [#2]
BLIde

GfK(Posted 2011) [#3]
Project Studio hasn't progressed AFAIK since early 2008.

Get BLIdePlus. The free version would do you just fine but Ziggy needs to eat, and BLIdePlus is worth 10x the asking price.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2011) [#4]
That's all fine and dandy when you work and have the money which I don't so I need to look for a free option and I don't like the restriction imposed by blide free

Matthew Smith(Posted 2011) [#5]
Yavin,

I had to stop Project Studio due to redundancy and starting my own business.

Would love to be able to start back on this and finish it properly but it won't happen unfortunately.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2011) [#6]
Ah thanks for the info, you might want to post this on your own site tho seems like people over there could do with knowing.

And good luck with the job.

Chapman7(Posted 2011) [#7]
Any chance someone still has a download for it?

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#8]
Amazing how Web.Archive works. It stores pages, images but I had no idea it could store downloadable files as well, so I was able to retrieve it.

ProjectStudio Express v1.0.44

If you want to see the original page from where it was retrieved, go to 'web.archive.org' and surf through their snapshots of 'projectstudioide.com'.
You can also check the low-down on IDEs for BlitzMax, listed by Abrexxes.

EDIT: I feel dirty somehow. If the author is not ok with this, please e-mail me and I'll remove the link.

Last edited 2011

Taron(Posted 2011) [#9]
Don't mean to bother much, but BLIde Plus is really worth it. Consider what you spend your money on normally. I'm pretty skimpy myself with many things, particularely software, but when it's a powerful asset and gives me that much relaxation/joy, I gladly caugh up the two bucks fiddy. ;)

I'm not so fond of the update pricing idea, though... that's a bit weird, I think. But well, I bought it with lifetime updates.

Chapman7(Posted 2011) [#10]
I like Project Studios layout alot. I also have zero cash to spend. I hope the author doesnt mind though :)

Matthew Smith(Posted 2011) [#11]
Thats fine guys.

I'll see if I can find the last build for you at some stage shortly, but Ziggy's BLIde may be your best bet. I use his JungleIDE and it works great, so I'd imagine BLIde would be just as good.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#12]
I'll see if I can find the last build for you at some stage shortly
If not, I still have Project Studio Pro Beta47a from December 2008 if that's any help.

Hezkore(Posted 2011) [#13]
I'd buy it, but the cheapest version is 28€ and that'll only give me 6 months worth of updates, and he doesn't seem to update very often, so that's what... like 2-3 updates? :/
If there's a new update later or a "service pack" I'd have to pay another 28€ just to get a small update!
I'm fine with the Demo version of BLIde, but in general BLIde is missing a lot of features other professional IDE's have (Not for BlitzMax though), so overall it feels like a bad deal I'm afraid. :(

Not saying BLIde is bad though, it's the best choice for BlitzMax.

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#14]
@Hezkore: There's an option to buy additional updates time by a smaller amount if your licenses updates time have expiread (18,50 €). Also, you don't usually have to udpate BLIde. I mean, it works and it's stable. If you want to update it and you've run out of updates time, you can do it by a reduced price, unless you've got a lifetime license (in this case, you don't have to worry about this).

Addtionally, BLIde usually gets 1 or 2 updates per month, but latelly this has been reduced becouse if its own stability and the time consumed in latest FontMachine editor (wich is included in the pack) and also becouse I've been a bit bussy with Jungle Ide.

Hezkore(Posted 2011) [#15]
Well that's a good thing I guess Ziggy.
If 10-18€ was the normal price and 5-8€ was the update price, I would have already gotten it though. ;)

Oh and hey Ziggy... One thing about BLIde that's always bugged me...
Can't BLIde remember what you've selected to "Build as" for each file, even after quiting?
I often make the mistake of building something as a GUI when it needs to be built as a Console app, then I sit and wonder why nothing's happening when I run it, only to realize much later that it's actually running in the background as a hidden GUI app. x)

GfK(Posted 2011) [#16]
I'd buy it, but the cheapest version is 28€ and that'll only give me 6 months worth of updates, and he doesn't seem to update very often, so that's what... like 2-3 updates? :/
I don't follow your logic. You can still use it beyond the six month period. And the reason there isn't a huge number of updates is because there really isn't much wrong with it any more.

€28 for BLIde, forever, is a steal.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2011) [#17]
Apart from annoying bugs in the editor.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2011) [#18]
Just out of curiosity, and the fact I grabbed that above download, is there any major issues with using this IDE with the current version of max ?

Would I run into comparability or problems ?

Czar Flavius(Posted 2011) [#19]
What do you mean? They are just text editors and file managers. The code is sent to the same BlitzMax compiler.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2011) [#20]
I was sure I read mathew saying saomthing about compatability with newer versions but now I look for it I cant find it, may have read it on his website don't recall now.

the more I think about it the more I think he/who ever it was, was probably talking about the new threading and other build options that his ide wont support but thats just a guess.

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#21]
I think roject Studio was build before Max had the threading support, so this compiler flag could be not supported, but I'm not 100% sure.