Application failing to load on (some) XP systems

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Application failing to load on (some) XP systems

ima747(Posted 2011) [#1]
I have an application that seems to work fine on anything I can lay my hands on, however I get the following warning reported from some people running XP. I can't access their systems, but judging from their skill levels I think it's safe to assume they're pretty incompetent and it's likely they've never updated anything (might be running XP in pre-service pack form for all I know...)

They get "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem".

Googling indicates they're likely missing a DLL somehow (is VC++ redistributable required to run blitzmax apps?). Gut feeling is that the windows bundles I'm importing might not be right somehow...

I'm using MaxGU, MiniB3D and BaH.Volumes beyond standard bmax.

Any thoughts on where I should look, or is google's hint probably right, should I be finding a DLL for them? If my bundle is likely to be messed up some how can anyone recommend where I look to resolve it, or atleast what version of windows I should be looking out for that might not be compatible...

Tommo(Posted 2011) [#2]
OpenAL might be the problem.
Standard BMX has almost no dependency. So are the other modules you mentioned.

ima747(Posted 2011) [#3]
Hmm how would I go about confirming OpenAL as the problem, or fixing it if it is. The application in question actually doesn't use any audio, though I'm not explicity loading brl modules as needed so perhaps the inclusion of the audio module by default is causing this?

Last edited 2011

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#4]
Either try explicitly specifying the modules you need and not including things you don't by using the very handy free 'Framework Assistant' program, or try explicitly telling your program to use the DirectSound framework for audio (since that is part of DirectX, it's present on all windows computers by default. It may have some issues, but that would not matter since you say you don't use sound anyway)

ima747(Posted 2011) [#5]
I've actually just gotten done specifying the frameworks and stripping all audio, but since I don't have a system that has a problem it's just a best guess... I hate troubleshooting un-reproducable problems for people with no technical knowledge who don't answer questions, just want to complain *sigh* fingers crossed.