Sound synthesization

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Sound synthesization

Pineapple(Posted 2011) [#1]
I need to write a tracker as none of the existing ones able to do what I need are of a high overall quality. How can I synthesize sound using BlitzMax?

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#2]
Look at bass or fmod....

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#3]
Are you sure you can't implement what you want in an already made, open-source tracker like OpenMPT?
It would save you the hassle of having to write a whole new application, thus you could focus all your time with implementing the functionality or plugin to do what you need.

Pineapple(Posted 2011) [#4]
I need to be able to use the tracker to compose some tunes to use on game boy hardware, and the only ones I've found available are old, decrepit, and have horrid UIs.

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#5]
Knowing this, it does really seem like the best way to go is to build your own... (since the output is in a proprietary, uncommon format).

Do you know C++ (or at least how to read it)? there is an emulator for GBS files, it seems to even reproduce the chip tones of the GameBoy sound chip.

http://slack.net/~ant/libs/audio.html#Gb_Snd_Emu

With this you can at least know how to output to the GBS format.

EDIT: Another feasible option is for you to make a MIDI2GBS converter application, where you take a midi or mod file along with the definition of the samples and combine them into a final GBS file. For instance, in a custom file you can specify that each MIDI track is reserved for a certain chip sound. The converter would take this information and build the final GBS.
This way you could sequence your songs into virtually any sequencing software (not only trackers but sequencers such as Cubase, FLStudio etc.) using MIDI samples from the GM just to have a clue of what the outcome is going to be.

Last edited 2011