Horizon - New Framework for Games for Blitzmax

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Horizon - New Framework for Games for Blitzmax

therevills(Posted 2011) [#1]
I nearly missed this on the Home Page.

Horizon - New Framework for Games for Blitzmax by maverick69.

http://intermediaware.com/developers

I had a quick look at the code and looks pretty cool... But you need several other mods to get this to work:

* MaxGUI
* BaH.Persistence
* ???

Anyone got this to work?

Last edited 2011

wmaass(Posted 2011) [#2]
I did - its it a nice framework, good demos to get started with.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#3]
Do you need any more mods to get it to work, mwmaass?

GW(Posted 2011) [#4]
I think you need bah.boost and mathutils as well.

wmaass(Posted 2011) [#5]
What GW said.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2011) [#6]
..download doesnt work for me..sigh..anyone could repost it, if that is okay ?

Jesse(Posted 2011) [#7]
magui plus these 4 other modules you will need:
libxml:
http://code.google.com/p/maxmods/downloads/detail?name=libxml_1_15_src.zip

mathkit and boost:
http://code.google.com/p/maxmods/downloads/detail?name=mathtoolkit_boost_combi_1_00_src.zip&can=2&q=

for the persistence module use svn or right click and 'paste as' all 5 files, file by file in to the appropriate folders(might need to remove the txt extensions for bmx files):
http://maxmods.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/persistence.mod/

Last edited 2011

GW(Posted 2011) [#8]
Its a nice framework, but the main loop is handled with a delay statement. It def needs to be redone with a fixed frame limiter. Also I noticed some issues getting the wrong framerate when specify it in the setup.
It's easier work with than the Retro Remake framework, which is a bit of a mess.

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#9]
It's by Jochen Heizmann of Intermediaware, maker of Absolute Blue right? He's a good dev so it's probably pretty good and worth checking out.

Wiebo(Posted 2011) [#10]
I agree about the RRFW framework being messy to begin with, but that's mainly because of the lack of proper tutorials and more things like that. It's a really good and powerful framework, imho... I should create a few tutorials in the near future.

I have not tried this new Horizon framework, but the reason for that is that I have too much time invested in my game and the RRFW framework right now

Last edited 2011

SpaceAce(Posted 2011) [#11]
Isn't the Retro Remakes framework essentially dead? As far as I've been able to determine (it's been a while, so I might have this wrong), Grey Alien's framework is the only reasonably feature-complete one out for BlitzMax. Is that no longer true? I'd love to look at some others.

Wiebo(Posted 2011) [#12]
Nah, RRFW is not dead. The last updates to the framework were in September last year. I've added some parts to the framework over the last year, and Muttley is re-building his computer atm, going back to the framework soon. The framework is also feature complete ( http://code.google.com/p/retroremakes-framework/wiki/CurrentFeatures ). Like I said in my earlier post, it needs some tutorials, and a finished game to show what it can do. I'm working on that game now :)

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

matibee(Posted 2011) [#13]
SpaceAce: I'm not sure if Greys will ever come up for sale again, but we'll see now he's full time indy again. I've got one I've used on a few projects that's now completely free.

(In case you have signatures turned off, here's the feature list: http://www.matibee.co.uk/wpsite/?page_id=13 )

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#14]
Greys Framework won't be for sale again since he sold the rights to Big Fish Games. I know because I asked him a while ago when he announced that he'd be going indie again. Should be somewhere on these forums.

@Wiebo: That's quite an impressive feature list for the Retro Remakes Framework.

Last edited 2011

Muttley(Posted 2011) [#15]
The Retro Remakes Framework is most definitely not dead, it's had a huge amount of work done to it over the last year (almost 90 commits by myself and Wiebo I think).

@GW: Which bits of the RetroRemakes Framework did you find to be messy? Any feedback that allows us to improve/enhance the framework are extremely useful. Plus, don't forget it's totally Open Source. You are free to make modifications/additions to it yourself, and any patches submitted will definitely be considered for inclusion in the main branch.

As Wiebo says, we need more examples and such, but as I have limited development time available I have to split it between the games I'm working on and the framework they use, so unfortunately the documentation/example side of things don't get the attention they perhaps deserve.

SpaceAce(Posted 2011) [#16]
I'm glad to hear the Retro Remakes framework is still alive and well, I will check it out.

Edit: The only file under Downloads is November of 2009. Do I need to check out via SVN, or download each file separately through the file browser to get anything newer?

Matibee - I already own Grey;s framework, anyway. I also have yours, I downloaded it yesterday and played with the gem smash demo, nice work.

Grey - you went indie, again? When did that happen, and why? I'm curious what your experiences were and why you went back.

Last edited 2011

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#17]
Visit his blog for starters :-)

Muttley(Posted 2011) [#18]
@SpaceAce: Using Mercurial to check out the whole repository is the best way to get the framework.

Last edited 2011

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#19]
@SpaceAce: yeah check my blog out over the last month or so. My last day at BFG was on Friday. Basically the "nice version" is I needed to do my own thing again and so decided to go Indie after 2 years at BFG. There's more dirt but it's best that I don't air that publicly. I'm looking forward to working with the Indies in Vancouver.

I don't want to derail this thread any more but basically BFG own my framework, even though they probably won't ever use it now I'm not there, so it'll never be for sale again. The annoying thing about the sale of it was that, due to stupid tax laws, I ended up paying about 60% of the money in tax last year. Ho hum. I have made a mini-game framework that I might work on some more and put out there, but it's not a commercial quality framework. Also when monkey is out I will probably make a framework for that.