BLIde debugger and the call stack

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/BLIde debugger and the call stack

JoshK(Posted 2011) [#1]
I am using BLIde a little more heavily lately. The intellisense is really nice, and it has gotten a lot faster in recent versions.

When debugging a program, when a crash occurs and the line is highlighted, how can I go up one level through the call stack to highlight the wrapping function line the error occured on? For example:
a=1
b=2

DoSomething()'How do I highlight this line?

Function DoSomething()
m=0
m=2/m'crash occurs here and this line is highlighted
EndFunction

Also, what is the right way to select a suggested item from the intellisense list? Pressing enter works, but will also add a return character to the text. The mouse is sort of inconvenient. Is there a way to just press one key to accept what the intellisense list suggests, and have it added, without adding anything else?

Thanks.

Arabia(Posted 2011) [#2]
Also, what is the right way to select a suggested item from the intellisense list? Pressing enter works, but will also add a return character to the text. The mouse is sort of inconvenient. Is there a way to just press one key to accept what the intellisense list suggests, and have it added, without adding anything else?

TAB is the key I think you want.

Volker(Posted 2011) [#3]
Pressing enter works, but will also add a return character to the text.

Or uncheck:
Tools -> Preferences -> Editor -> Start a new line after pressing ENTER on autolists

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#4]
The best way is to press whatever you're going to write after the identifier. Any operator, the dot, ENTER, whatever that is not "a" to "z" and "0" to "9" and "_" will perform autocompletion and get printed. Usually "(" or "+" or whatever you need is the apropiate key. You'll find it very useful if you get used to it. It allows you to code a lot faster that using always a specific key like Enter or Tab. Use the key you need at each moment, and expect BLIde to understand it (it surely will, otherwise tell me!)

When debugging a program, when a crash occurs and the line is highlighted, how can I go up one level through the call stack to highlight the wrapping function line the error occured on

The list of "filenames" just below the debug tree is the call stack. Select from the first to the last, to get a complete scope of all stack trace information. Last one is the code position where the error has been trigged, first one is usually the entry point of the whole program.

Tools -> Preferences -> Editor -> Start a new line after pressing ENTER on autolists
I would not recommend this unless you're VERY used to select items always with the Enter key.

Arabia(Posted 2011) [#5]
The best way is to press whatever you're going to write after the identifier. Any operator, the dot, ENTER, whatever that is not "a" to "z" and "0" to "9" and "_" will perform autocompletion and get printed. Usually "(" or "+" or whatever you need is the apropiate key. You'll find it very useful if you get used to it. It allows you to code a lot faster that using always a specific key like Enter or Tab. Use the key you need at each moment, and expect BLIde to understand it (it surely will, otherwise tell me!)

That is a really cool feature. I will have to try and get used to that, I'm a bit set in my TAB ways from the Microsoft IDE.

JoshK(Posted 2011) [#6]
Thanks. It's an incredibly good code editor!

Czar Flavius(Posted 2011) [#7]
What HAVE you been using for the past few years????? Notepad?????

Arabia(Posted 2011) [#8]
And what is wrong with notepad? :P

Czar Flavius(Posted 2011) [#9]
It does't remember tabs between lines!