Need help with images!

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Need help with images!

Twinprogrammer(Posted 2010) [#1]
Every time I load an image and draw it, I get a runtime error saying,"Unhandled exception:attempt to access field of null object"
what does it mean, and how do I fix it?

Also, I need help finding an image editor that can draw images or animated images.

twinprogrammer

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#2]
Sounds like there is a problem loading the images -- did you verify that the loading was successful before attempting to draw?

Also, keep in mind that you need to create a graphics context *before* attempting to load the images.

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#3]
Are you reading the debugger's output? on the right side of the IDE it shows all the related objects, fields and variables. It's a great guide to find out what went wrong.

Also, I need help finding an image editor that can draw images or animated images.

Hope this is of use: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=202348

Czar Flavius(Posted 2010) [#4]
'use as a replacement for LoadImage (use default parameters) or as a replacement for LoadAnimImage (provide parameters)
Function SafeImageLoad:TImage(path:String, animation = False, width = 0, height = 0, first = 0, count = 0, flags = -1)

Local image:TImage

If animation
		'we are loading an animation strip
		image = LoadAnimImage(path, width, height, first, count, flags)
	Else
		'we are loading a still image
		image = LoadImage(path, flags)
	End If

'check that the image was loaded correctly
	If Not image
		RuntimeError "Cannot find " + path
	End If

'return the image we loaded
	Return image
End Function

Local i1:TImage = SafeImageLoad("myfile.png")
Local i2:TImage = SafeImageLoad("myanim.png", True, 32, 32, 0, 4)

Last edited 2010

Twinprogrammer(Posted 2011) [#5]
I can load some images , just not all images. I loaded a simple ball
and drew it , but when I tried to load a ship , I got the same error!!!
Is it something to do with my images? Or am I just drawing them incorrectly?

twinprogrammer

Arabia(Posted 2011) [#6]
Are you positive the file names are correct? Including the extensions? and the path to the file (if needed) is correct?

Sry if this sounds like an obvious thing - but I've had the same problems and it's always been because I didn't give the full path when I should have, or I saved my file as a BMP and not a PNG and still tried to load it as "Pic.png"