Object pooling

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Object pooling

Czar Flavius(Posted 2010) [#1]
Does anybody have a working example/framework code they would like to share? If it can also handle polymorphism that would be great. Thanks.

Mahan(Posted 2011) [#2]
An object pool is usually a simple container (list, stack etc.) containing your type.

Since BlitzMax does not feature generics you might want to make a wrapper around the TList or similar so that you don't have to cast object-instances on insertion and removal.

Then you just use it like this (peudo):

function accuireObject()
  TObjectType obj
  if objPool is empty 
   obj = new TObjectType
  else
   obj = objPool.last
   objPool.remove(obj)
  endif
  return obj
endfunction

function releaseObject(obj)
  if objPool.size >= MAX_POOL_SIZE then return
  objPool.insert(obj)
endfunction

Note:This is pseudo-code. Normally if you use the TList you'll loose the most obvious advantage of an object-pool because the internal adding of a link will usually be more or less as costly as "new <TType>". You might want it array-based with an algorithm that grows the array size starting @ some size and doubling the size each time it's required.

Jesse(Posted 2011) [#3]
I tried to implement something generic that I could implement in the base type but couldn't figure out so I ended up implementing a storage list, a create, an add and a remove(return to storage) function to each extended type with nothing other than a linked list stack. it works great except for the fact that I have to create very similar code to every type of object I create. I would like to see actual implementation of your code Mahan as that code is slightly over my head to implement.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2011) [#4]
Thanks for the suggestions. I have an idea of my own, and I will share it if it works..

Czar Flavius(Posted 2011) [#5]
Any object pooling solution should use TList very carefully, as many operations generate a TLink object! A solution to reduce new object allocation that creates new objects probably won't work very well.

Jesse(Posted 2011) [#6]

Last edited 2011

Mahan(Posted 2011) [#7]
I wrote this in a hurry, and I've not used BlitzMax for a long while, so please check for any errors.

Anyways, here is a very crude implementation:

These are my timings:

Normal GC (debug off):
Creating 1000000 objects with normal memory management (1 alive at a time).
took 105 ms.
Creating 1000000 objects AT ONCE with normal memory management.
took 1049 ms.
Mallocing a workset of 1000 objects repeating 1000 times with normal memory management.
took 167 ms.
Working with a pool of 1000 objects with reusage 1000 times.
took 70 ms.

MultiThreaded (debug off):

Creating 1000000 objects with normal memory management (1 alive at a time).
took 132 ms.
Creating 1000000 objects AT ONCE with normal memory management.
took 242 ms.
Mallocing a workset of 1000 objects repeating 1000 times with normal memory management.
took 110 ms.
Working with a pool of 1000 objects with reusage 1000 times.
took 59 ms.