Stacktrace from DebugLog?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Stacktrace from DebugLog?

Gabriel(Posted 2010) [#1]
I'm doing some debugging in BlitzMax and since using Unity, one big feature I miss is having a complete stacktrace on every debuglog. I can drop a debuglog into my code, run it and I can immediately trace where that line got called from, which saves having to constantly backtrack with more and more debuglogs. Is there a way to get this behaviour in BlitzMax? (Without stopping the program. I want to be able to trace lots of logs when I'm combing through them, after the program has finished.)

slenkar(Posted 2010) [#2]
you dont mean like a debugstop?

thats about the only way you can pause the game and look where a function has been called from

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#3]
BLIde does provide this information while debugging (also the free version). It's placed below the debug tree in the debug panel. Just in case it is useful to you. this call stack information is presented in inverse call order. (the first is the current location in code, then the function call, then etc...)

Last edited 2010

Tommo(Posted 2010) [#4]

Some dirty hack.
It inserts location of DebugLog into the output log.
Hope it helps.

Gabriel(Posted 2010) [#5]
@Slenkar: Not exactly like DebugStop, no. I want to be able to do it without pausing. I want to be able to write to the log ten times, quit the game, and then go back and read the ten different stack traces.

@Ziggy: I haven't updated Blide in quite a long time, though I did purchase a license. You say that it's possible "while debugging", but is it available after debugging, with multiple stacks as I just described in my response to Slenkar?

@Tommo: That's a very creative hack. Thanks tons for that!

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#6]
but is it available after debugging, with multiple stacks as I just described in my response to Slenkar?

I don't reallt know what you mean. BLIde provides the call stack information while you're debugging. When the debug session ends (becouse of a bug, as instance) This information is still available on the debug window.