Monthly Programming Challenge

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Monthly Programming Challenge

thalamus(Posted 2010) [#1]
Would anyone be interested in a monthly programming challenge?

I'll explain: this place is a superb resource, with plenty of really bright, sharp people always willing to pitch in and help. I've bookmarked countless great threads on this forum, where people jump in and refine a piece of code until it's pretty near-perfect.

So why not a monthly challenge where people can pitch in to create a really specific piece of code?

For example, how do I create the scrolling text effect you see at the beginning of the Star Wars movies? How do I create a simple firework effect? How does dynamic 2D lighting work? How can I create real-time lens flare?

I think it could be quite fun...

Hotshot2005(Posted 2010) [#2]
It be nice if everyone can do the coding challenge :)

smilertoo(Posted 2010) [#3]
thalamus: are you ever going to update FishEd? if not can i have the source code to play with?

beanage(Posted 2010) [#4]
Oh I got an idea .. I kinda forever wanted an abstract implementation of a buffered text area with selectable text, auto-linebreaking .. gotta see if i can find some time for this. Ooooh that would be so awesome =)

thalamus(Posted 2010) [#5]
Smilertoo - I emailed you a few weeks back about FishEd... didn't you get my mail?

thalamus(Posted 2010) [#6]
@BeAnAge - That's a great example. :)

CS_TBL(Posted 2010) [#7]
It'd be nice if the challenge wouldn't be too big. Years ago there was a 256-char oneliner challenge which resulted in quite a few interesting thingies. It certainly was an active thread. Why? Because it was small, so not a lot of work, meaning the choice to compete is easy. Everyone has some lost half hour somewhere, enough to make an entry.