Cant play a sound i like :( please help

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Cant play a sound i like :( please help

Rico(Posted 2010) [#1]
i am playing sound effects in my game using the PlaySound command, they are all .wav files. i really like this short aaah noise. but it wont play. any suggestions? it plays ok in windows media player. it wont load up using loadsound, so i cant play it

Click here!

its the 2nd sound on the list called 'High pitched aah wav'

thanks for any help :)

Last edited 2010

ima747(Posted 2010) [#2]
Haven't looked at the specific file but sound formats are many layered things. Try converting it to something else... or even the same thing, it might strip out whatever is causing loadsound to fail...

GfK(Posted 2010) [#3]
Just chucked it through Soundforge - it wouldn't even resave it in its existing format - something about a codec so I guess although its a WAV, its actually in some weird-ass format that Blitzmax doesn't like.

Anyhoo, resampled it from its current 11025hz to 44.1khz, and it plays fine in Blitzmax.

Yan(Posted 2010) [#4]
It's a VBR MP3 encoded sample within a WAV container.

As already suggested, just convert it with your favourite audio editor.

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#5]
Try exporting it with Audacity.

Rico(Posted 2010) [#6]
ah i see, i just thought a wav was a wav. i will convert it. thanks very much for going to all the trouble of checking it out for me. much appreciated :)

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#7]
wav is a so-container format, like avi - you can put all kinds of differently encoded data inside of it, but you'll need to have the appropriate codec in order to play it back.