Question: getting contract help w/ BlitzMax proj.

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Question: getting contract help w/ BlitzMax proj.

jtfrench(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this inquiry, so apologies in advance if this is against decorum. Here it goes:

I've been working on a complex MMO for quite some time now (5 years). Despite the typical "don't do that, indy!" risks, I've actually managed to keep a steady (yet slow) pace with its development, I've gone through several public releases (garnering 16,000+ players world wide), and have established formal game design documents, asset pipelines, server technology, and client libraries.

Since quitting my job at Apple, I currently work as CTO for a stealth-mode startup. It's interesting work, but it's not games, and it doesn't leave me as much time for my pet project as I'd like.

I'm out in the bay area (Sunnyvale, CA), and I'm looking for a skilled BlitzMax / PHP developer to help me finish off this game so we can do a formal (commercial) release. I cannot afford a fulltime hire, but simply someone to do work part-time and help offset some of these tasks.

I'm quite picky about who I work with, and would prefer someone who is local/nearby. I don't really know where to start looking, but if anyone has had any experience finding contract BlitzMax help, or has done contract work themselves, I would love to hear your insight.

Thanks,
Jason

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#2]
Sunnyvale, CA is only 1481km south of me LOL, I wonder if I'm the closest ;)

Czar Flavius(Posted 2010) [#3]
Out of interest, what is the name of your game/do you have a website? (Potential applicants might want to learn more about you too)

Leon Drake(Posted 2010) [#4]
weird i am right up highway 85 from you. You know where i work we send a lot of our employees to apple perhaps i have met you before.

Strangely enough i too have been trying to develope a MMO-ish type game. not typical MMO more like a social chat type game like IMVU/Second Life.

Anyhoo i am a skilled Bmax/php developer and it only takes me like 15 mins to drive to Sunnyvale

Leon Drake(Posted 2010) [#5]
P.S. i live in Campbell (work in San jose)

jtfrench(Posted 2010) [#6]
I figure there had to be some Silicon Valley dwellers on here :) I occasionally attend a game dev meetup in SF, but other than that haven't really met much of the gaming community out here.

As for my game, it's called Fantasy Hip Hop RPG (www.fantasyhiphop.com).

I released it in 2005 as a text-only, HTML-rendered game. To much surprise, it ended up taking off — a bit quickly. 2,000 within the first week, peaking at over 16,000 after operating for a while.

I've taken the game already though many design iterations before there was ever a graphical component, focusing on the richness of the shear "game" factor — graphics or not.

I've always wanted to make a full-blown, rich RPG that really gave hip-hop something its never had gaming wise.

And well, that's Fantasy Hip Hop RPG.

I'm looking for some creative and talented folks to join me for the ride. So far I've written every line of client and server code solo (~54k lines of server code, ~8k lines of client code) --- and that's not a stat I'm particularly proud of.

I've held off on building out my engineering team for quite some time, using the fact that the codebase was too naughty/undocumented/only made sense to me that it didn't make sense to have anyone else bother with it.

I've since restructured it substantially to at least make sense, have proper structure, and "everything has its place", so to speak.

Hopefully that gives you some perspective :)

Looking for someone to submit a few changes to the codebase, and if we work well together, join the team as a part-time engineer.

-Jason

Last edited 2010

Angel(Posted 2010) [#7]
[deleted]

Last edited 2010

Leon Drake(Posted 2010) [#8]
you using svn?

i'm definately interested in helping out i have a lot of experience coding front end and back end as far as web dev goes in php typically on a linux server.

I'm also a very skilled artist 2d and 3d so i can even help in the gfx department, and i blitzmax is my true love of game programming.

jtfrench(Posted 2010) [#9]
I'm using git at the moment.

The beauty about this game is that it's not an action game — the visual component is just an additional metaphor — so we don't have hard network performance requirements for keeping accurate real-time position of game objects. I use a LAMP stack to manage the backend. With proper schema design, things run relatively quickly and the all game data can be edited through phpMyAdmin (but I prefer to use my god mode web interface :)

Shoot me an email at jtfrench [at] gmail if you'd like to talk more.

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#10]
Just curious, it sounds like you have the game mechanic down pat but how much of a visual interface have you got? The Launch editor button just takes me back to the main web page btw.

jtfrench(Posted 2010) [#11]
@Skull:
That's weird, I'll have to check in on that. Can you shoot me an email and we'll chat more.

The game client itself has an 80% complete UI.

The FHH Builder (building editor) has a fairly functional UI, though I've only see it work well in Safari, Firefox, and Chrome.