Current in-game-gui's?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Current in-game-gui's?

Firstdeathmaker(Posted 2010) [#1]
Im looking for a nice, skinnable in-game-gui for BMax. I searched and found names like CEGui and IGlass. But where can I get CEGui? Its not in Bruceys module-list anymore, and I dont know where I can get it?

On the other hand all topics I found where very old, so I ask if there are some better solutions out now? What ingame-Gui's are you using and what experienced did you make with them?

Is IGlass really worth 20 €?

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#2]
Does IGlass even work with current versions of BMax?

FryGUI has been used in a commercial game or two. There is also another GUI that costs $$ that seemed popular but quickly dropped off the map.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2010) [#3]
Cegui is really bloated and difficult to use. Frygui is really lightweight and simple, yet very sufficient for most games. I suggest you give it a look.

Firstdeathmaker(Posted 2010) [#4]
I just tried out frygui, but somehow the original DL is down (404, or out of some reason I cant reach that host from germany), so I had to use the mirrored version. I think the mirrored version is outdated somehow (not fully functional examples etc). Can somebody check if he can DL the original version and mirror it to a working reachable server?

frygui: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=65067

FryGui seems to be what I was looking for. Thanks. (But I'm still open for other suggestions)

Czar Flavius(Posted 2010) [#5]
Scroll to the bottom of the post you just linked. I've added a last post that summarizes how to get FryGui. It's a shame the module is no longer being officially supported by its creater. It is however a very nice module.

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#6]
There's also ifsogui (www.ifsogui.com) which is cheap, feature complete and fully skinnable.

A year ago I purchased it as well and blogged about it, discussing the alternatives as well: http://blog.htbaa.com/programming/blitzmax/i-just-purchased-ifsogui

Corum(Posted 2010) [#7]
Another ifsogui supporter here.
Cheap library, well supported and features rich.

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#8]
There's also ifsogui (www.ifsogui.com) which is cheap, feature complete and fully skinnable.
That is the one I was thinking about that kind of dropped off the map (ie, we quit hearing about it).

TaskMaster(Posted 2010) [#9]
I assume you are talking about ifsoGUI dropping off the map. ifsoGUI works fine and quite a few people are using it. I still fix bugs when people find them, usually within an hour or two.

Do I have to spam the forums with it so it isn't considered dropping off the map. ;)

ifsoGUI has its own website and wiki explaining every function/method/variable in detail.

Last edited 2010

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#10]
Do I have to spam the forums with it so it isn't considered dropping off the map. ;)
Is there any chance you would consider listing it in the ToolBox so newcomers could easily find out about it?

TaskMaster(Posted 2010) [#11]
Just did. I had no idea that toolbox even existed. Thanks.

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#12]
Now it won't fall of the map ;)

It is sad the FryGUI author never stuck it in the toolbox. As the first post in the thread shows, some great tools are being glossed over because they have fallen off the map and are buried in the forums and can be hard for newcomers to find.

Brucey's port of Crazy Eddie's GUI has the advantage of Brucey having his own forum category. Anybody else who develops utilities or addons for BlitzMax should consider using the Toolbox so new folks are aware of what you have to offer them.

John G(Posted 2010) [#13]
Is ifsoGUI Win_32 only?

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#14]
Nope, you source, so you can build the module on any platform!

http://www.ifsogui.com/

Dabz

Last edited 2010

Mr. Write Errors Man(Posted 2010) [#15]
I think I tried all the GUIs there are for BlitzMax and for my personal use ifsoGUI was the best by far.

John G(Posted 2010) [#16]
Thanks Dabhand and MrWEM. I enjoyed using MaxGUI but realized I didn't want to be tied down to Mac-menus vs Win-menus and much prefer full-screen mode. I peaked inside the 'ifsoGUI' demo and only saw references to Win_32. Will give it another shot.

Anything I've done would be tight on a <4 inch phone screen but a 1024 wide tablet should work!

nrasool(Posted 2010) [#17]
FryGUI can be downloaded from http://www.nrasool.co.uk/downloads/Fry.mod.zip

John G(Posted 2010) [#18]
FryGUI didn't seem to work on my PowerPC Mac. However, I'm somewhat external-module challenged. I'm also not suggesting anyone invest time in PPC Mac support.

Will be moving along soon. Intel Mac or Win 7 PC -- that is still the question?

TaskMaster(Posted 2010) [#19]

I peaked inside the 'ifsoGUI' demo and only saw references to Win_32.

This is the very first line of the features list on the http://www.ifsogui.com web site:

Cross Platform – ifsoGUI is written in pure BlitzMax with no OS specific code. It is completely cross platform with Mac (OSX) and Linux.

Though it isn't 100% true anymore as there is a little C code, but that code is also cross-platform.

Last edited 2010

EOF(Posted 2010) [#20]
Hi Marcus,
I tried the ifsoGUI sample demo but get the result below. Maybe its something you are already aware of. Sorry, I did not want to register on your site just yet

Dev: BlitzMax 1.40 , Asus Laptop, ATI Radeon

TaskMaster(Posted 2010) [#21]
Did you just run one of the sample apps? Or, did you try the demo of the mod that is there. The demo of the mod is a few versions of BlitzMax old and is not compatible with the latest BlitzMax anymore. Maintaining the demo mod is a pain in the butt and I have let it slip. Mark made some behind the scenes changes in BlitzMax that took me a day or two to get working with ifsoGUI. I never did fix the demo of the mod itself. I think it was last compatible around 1.37 or 1.38.

I really should update the demo. Or find a way to create a demo from the latest version.

If you ran one of the sample apps, can you tell me which one?

Thanks.

Last edited 2010

EOF(Posted 2010) [#22]
The above is straight from the 'sample' download with ifsoGUI.mod
I wanted to test directly with BlitzMax mainly too see the code sample and implementation

However, I just tested all the others and they work (at least via the directly-compiled *exe)

TaskMaster(Posted 2010) [#23]
Thanks Jim.

Hopefully sometime I will be able to do a new version of them demo. Maybe I will just take the most recent build of the mod, rip out all but a couple gadgets, add a 10 minute time limitation to it and make it available. That shouldn't be too difficult.