Compilation Speed NTFS vs FAT32 Windows

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Compilation Speed NTFS vs FAT32 Windows

Rixarn(Posted 2010) [#1]
Is it just me or FAT32 is noticeably slower when compiling?

My current scenario:

Just made my hackintosh last weekend. Each OS (Win7 and Snow Leopard) installed in different HD.

Leopard's disk was formatted as Master Boot record, and has 2 partitions: One for the OS (went GUID I belive..), and another one for "Shared Ground" is Fat32.

Windows's disk has 3 partitions , all of them NTFS.

I put my BlitzMax folder in the Fat32 partition, and since then compilation is slower (from Windows), as much as 30% or perhaphs more. Then, just to verify that it was a FAT32 thing, i moved back the folder to one of the NFTS HD, and it worked faster!

The "Archiving" process is the one that takes more time in the FAT32...

Btw, i haven't checked if it's the same thing on the MAC side, since i just compile there when im done with the program.

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#2]
Fat32 can be a little bit slower on large partitions when dealing with a lot of small files, since your OS will only write a cluster at a time, and FAT32 has larger clustersizes on big volumes (e.g. NTFS has 4KB clusters, but on Fat32 they can be 4, 8, 16, 32 or even larger)

Other possible causes for speed difference:

- There can be *huge* speed differences between different make/model harddrives, regardless of the filesystem

- There are speed differences between the part of the drive you're dealing with: the inner portion of the drive can be up to three times faster than the outer portion, due to the physical data layout.
Hence, if you divide a drive into multiple partitions, there can be a very noticable speed difference between a partion that happened to get assigned the beginning of the drive and a partition that resides near the end of the drive.

there's free benchmarking software that can show you some of those numbers

(For example, HDTune for Windows will show you how much of a difference there can be between the beginning and the end of a drive)

Last edited 2010

Last edited 2010

Rixarn(Posted 2010) [#3]
Different Speeds in the same HD? Wow, never thought of that :)

Then perhpahs... it's a little bit of everything.

Thanks for the info :)

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#4]
Different speeds in the same HD? Wow, never thought of that :)

It's really noticable if you run HDTune to benchmark the speed of a drive: It starts out pretty fast, but there's a very clear drop-off in speed as the test progresses due to that.

Due to this effect it makes the most sense to put files that are frequently used and need to be fast (like the windows swap file, as a prime example) on the first partition.

slenkar(Posted 2010) [#5]
when i compile on linux it seems quite a bit faster than windows

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#6]
There can be other platform-dependent factors as well: things like read-ahead disk caching, can make quite a difference when it comes to dealing with many small files.