Detecting system event without a window

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Detecting system event without a window

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hi,

I don't want to detect a specific event or for the event to be named but just detect if any event happens and I can't use a window. Even if I did use a window it might go out of focus and then I am in the same situation. Is there a simple fast way to detect if an event happens not naming the specific event when the window is out of focus or there is no window? I cant find very good documentation on how to use the pollsystem command but it looks like what I am looking for.

degac(Posted 2010) [#2]
I dont' understand what do you really want, sorry!
What do you mean with 'system event'?

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#3]
sorry, It was late when i asked this question and I guess I wasnt fully awake haha. I am asking how I can detect if the user presses a key, moves the mouse or clicks the mouse with no window without creating an event hook for every single possibility. and how events work. Its not very well documented.

Jesse(Posted 2010) [#4]

Jesse(Posted 2010) [#5]
Are you talking about getting the information from the operating system? I think that is how key loggers work and I think you would run in to a lot of problems if you know what I mean.

polled input works only with the graphics active and when the window is on focus also it can only be activated by the graphis object according to this(from the polled input module):
Rem
Currently only called by Graphics/bglCreateContext.
Private for now, as it really needs a source:object parameter.
End Rem
Function EnablePolledInput( source:Object=Null )
	If enabled Return
	inputSource=source
	FlushKeys
	FlushMouse
	AddHook EmitEventHook,Hook,Null,0
	enabled=True
End Function

Event hooks are also application driven only. I believe windows passes that information to the application only when the window is in focus for the reason mention earlier but that is just my guess.

Zeke(Posted 2010) [#6]
SuperStrict

Extern "win32"
	Function GetCursorPos:Int(point:Byte Ptr)
	Function GetAsyncKeyState:Int(vKey:Int)
End Extern

Const VK_LEFTMOUSE:Int 				= $01	' Left physical mouse button 
Const VK_RIGHTMOUSE:Int 			= $02	' Right physical mouse button
Const VK_MIDDLEMOUSE:Int			= $04	' Middle physical mouse button 

Global pos:Int[2]
Global oldpos:Int[2]

Repeat
	GetCursorPos(pos) 'Read mouse position
	If pos[0]<>oldpos[0] Or pos[1]<>oldpos[1] then
		Print "Mouse position=" + pos[0] + "," + pos[1]
	EndIf
	oldpos[0] = pos[0]
	oldpos[1] = pos[1]

Local mhit:Int=getasynckeystate(VK_LEFTMOUSE)
	If mhit Shr 31 Then Print "Left mouse button clicked " + Bin(mhit)
	If mhit Shr 15 Then Print "Left Mouse down "+Bin(mhit)
	Delay 10
forever

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#7]
thanks zeke, I was actually looking for something the would just show if a key is pressed not which one but this will work too.

@jesse

sorry I am a bit confused by all of this terminology. What problems might I run into simply running this on my own computer? I dont intend to make a keylogger if that is what you are wondering.

plash(Posted 2010) [#8]
@Nate the Great: See the GHotkey stuff here.

Keep in mind that it's really old code. You should be able to gather what you need from it, though.

Jesse(Posted 2010) [#9]
Nate, obviously I was wrong about the mouse sense you can get them globally. I have never even tried to get into making a key logger but just the fact that you are accessing a key while another program is in focus seems to me invasion of privacy. for example entering a password or personal information into a program while another program is intercepting, I would consider it to be an offending program. but sense I never really looked at a key logger, I guess I would not know.

the problems I was referring was that a virus detector could potentially detect it as an offending virus but again that is just my guess.

If that is not a virus, I don't see how it can not be used or seen as one.
I personally don't think that's what you are doing but it was just logical for me to make that conclusions.