How do you run without console?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/How do you run without console?

BlitzProg(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hey there. My problem is simple enough:

Upon program execution, BlitzMax open a console for input/output, similar to when you use cmd (It doesn't when you execute the game from MaxIDE because the in/out thing is always done there)

In blitzplus it was only opening if you actually used print or input.

Is there anyway to NOT open the console?

GNS(Posted 2010) [#2]
In the BlitzMax IDE, turn ON the 'Build GUI App' option. It's found in Program -> Build Options -> Build GUI App.

BlitzProg(Posted 2010) [#3]
Oooh! I can't believe it, it was actually an option :D

I got fooled by thinking this option only needed to be ticked if you were using MaxGUI. Now I know i'm wrong O_o

thanks you very much.

GNS(Posted 2010) [#4]
Not a problem. I always found the option name a little misleading myself.

BLaBZ(Posted 2010) [#5]
What's the purpose of the "Build GUI App" option??

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#6]
Ack! Posted the wrong url. Been answered now, sorry.

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#7]
A GUI app is an app that uses a Graphical User Interface instead of the regular console for user I/O. You have to tell BlitzMax compiler if your program is using the console or not, so it builds your application accordingly.

BLaBZ(Posted 2010) [#8]
So for example, if I wanted my GUI app made with MaxGUI to receive keyboard events, would that require me to make my application a "GUI Build"?

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#9]
Well, not really. I mean, if it not a GUI build app, it'll work too, but a console window will be shown while the application is being run.

GNS(Posted 2010) [#10]
Yea, the Build GUI App option doesn't have anything to do with MaxGUI. What it really does is determine whether you want your app to run with a console window or not. The console window is useful if you want things like Print() and DebugLog() to work outside of the IDE. Turning Build GUI App off and running your .exe outside of the IDE will cause Print() and DebugLog() to output to the console window.

BLaBZ(Posted 2010) [#11]
Oh very cool, would you say it makes the application slower/faster? or does it have no effect

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#12]
Pipe sync si slow, so it could make the application slower if you're sending too much data to the console output.