MacOS Graphic Issues

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/MacOS Graphic Issues

Tachyon(Posted 2010) [#1]
I am getting a wide range of reports from people regarding graphic glitches on the newest MacOS. Some people say the games work fine, other are reporting white squares corrupting the screen. I've never seen these glitches on my 3-year-old MacBook Pro.

Can I get some Mac owners to try this latest build of Book I. You don't have to play it long- once the game begins you should see the glitches, if there are any. This has been compiled with BlitzMax 1.41.

[Edit: link updated to Mac version]

http://basiliskgames.com/misc/eb1_106/eschalon_book_1_106_demo.dmg

GfK(Posted 2010) [#2]
Downloading...

[edit] Erm..... isn't that the win32 version?

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2010) [#3]
Tachyon,

That link is a .exe... that' not a Mac version? Are you doing anything clever with the gfx, or just Max2D?

I'm downloading 'Eschalon_Book_1_Demo_105.mg'... is this the correct version to reproduce the error?

Tachyon(Posted 2010) [#4]
Er...um...yes, it is the Win32 version. Sorry- fixing link now.

Tachyon(Posted 2010) [#5]
@Johh Galt ... no, 105 is outdated. The new 1.06 Mac version is at the top of the thread.

Thanks for testing!

Oddball(Posted 2010) [#6]
This works fine on my Mac. No graphical glitches at all.
Mac OS X 10.6.4, ATI Radeon HD 4850

GfK(Posted 2010) [#7]
Works fine for me, too (tested fullscreen and windowed).

MacOS 10.6.4, 256MB GeForce9400, 4GB RAM.

ima747(Posted 2010) [#8]
Try to get the specs of the systems that are having issues. One (kinda) common issue with mac graphics that can cause screen corruption, or texture loss etc, is macs with mixed graphics cards (e.g. a pro with a geforce and an nvidia card, or sometimes a macbook pro with integrated and dedicated graphics) usually when both cards are enabled (screen connected to both). The solution I've found is to enable openGL texture sharing
SetGraphicsDriver(GLMax2DDriver(),GRAPHICS_BACKBUFFER|GRAPHICS_DEPTHBUFFER|GRAPHICS_ACCUMBUFFER)
	GLShareContexts() ' magic!

Shared contexts may not work well on older graphics chips (say intel integrated chips on PC laptops) so if legacy compatability is an issue for you then use with caution... also doesn't work if you're using directx on windows as it's an openGL function. But I haven't seen any mac have problems with it so perhaps just use as a mac conditional compile.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2010) [#9]
No problems on my MacBook Pro. I tried it on both main power and battery (which I believe disables hardware gfx acceleration).

MacOS 10.6.4, 256MB GeForce9400M, 4GB RAM.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2010) [#10]
Okay, I got into the game, played it a few times, then saw the issue. I started next to a river and most of the tiles of river showed constant white and grey triangles instead of texture. I exited the game trying to remember how to do a screenshot, and the problem never repeated.

Tachyon(Posted 2010) [#11]
Yep, that is exactly what others are reporting.

BRL -- I don't have code to show this bug, just evidence like John Galt's comment. If you need to move this topic into the Bug Report forum, please do so.

Roger(Posted 2010) [#12]
There were real issues with the 10.6.4 graphics drivers and some OpenGL based games like Valve games, Starcraft etc etc.

A couple of weeks back a graphics update was offered via software update.

Since John Galt is seeing the problem maybe he can confirm if he has this latest graphics driver update (running software update will show if he has not installed it).

It would be interesting to know if all your reports are coming from 10.6.4 as I believe 10.6.3 and below did not have this issue.

Regards,

Roger.

(I have the graphics update and a macbook pro 15"/GT330M , so I will download and test to see if I get the issue

DrDeath(Posted 2010) [#13]
No glitches here. MacBook Pro (2009) with Nvidia 9400M, Mac OS X 10.6.4 and graphics update.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2010) [#14]
I'm up to date on all patches.

therevills(Posted 2010) [#15]
Is this similar to Skully's issue?

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=91541

Ahhh youve already posted there...

Okay, so Skully's problem can be repeated all the time and yours is a once off issue?

jhans0n(Posted 2010) [#16]
I had that with my Senet game a while back. Recompiling on a fully-patched system killed all the glitches.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2010) [#17]
Damn you Tachyon... I got addicted whilst testing and went ahead and bought it!

Corum(Posted 2010) [#18]
ahahah I'm just going to fall in the same trap. :D

EDIT:
No glitches for me.
Using a Mac Pro 1,1 - OSX 10.5.8 - 2Gb ram - NVidia GForce 7300GT

*(Posted 2010) [#19]
1.05 had problems, 1.06 is fine here