Steam Like Application?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Steam Like Application?

wmaass(Posted 2010) [#1]
I have this opportunity to create a bunch of simple apps that I can market to a particular base of customers. Most of the apps will be developed using Blitz Max. I was thinking about using Blitz Max to develop a Steam or App Store like approach to deliver the apps and allow users to manage and launch them. Has anyone here done something like this and has any advice? Anyone else with thoughts?

Leon Drake(Posted 2010) [#2]
I hate steam

Czar Flavius(Posted 2010) [#3]
You could just use Steam :P

wmaass(Posted 2010) [#4]
Not really. I don't want to go through all of their red tape to get stuff on there. They wouldn't likely approve niche apps. The base that I am selling to is unique which is why I think a custom app manager would be nice.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2010) [#5]
Perhaps it might be easier to see if a template/generic program for this already exists, in another language, to get it running quicker and with plenty of features? There's no compelling reason that the app store needs to be written in the same language as the products. Unless you want the challange of writing it yourelf :P

wmaass(Posted 2010) [#6]
Good point. I'm searching. But I love my Blitz Max :)

DinoEntrails(Posted 2010) [#7]
Don't we all :)

DrDeath(Posted 2010) [#8]
When your target audience is so niche, wouldn't a dedicated store front/app manager application be quite an overkill? Would a decent website not be completely sufficient?

Baystep Productions(Posted 2010) [#9]
Steam sucks up resources and spits out advertisement.

It wouldn't be hard though.

Just create an idea of menu workings and all.
Use a HTML engine or something to display products?
Either way you need a dedicated server to host updates, and some form of payment (pay-pal), database holdings for user accounts (MySQL), shopping scripts (php/perl) etc.

Personally if you want a more "custom" built in look for your information in the program I would suggest developing some XML interpreter for your stand-alone and update the info via your web server.

I'd be glad to help if your serious about it and have the resources.

wmaass(Posted 2010) [#10]
DrDeath,

It could very well be a website. At the very least a web based components would be important.

Maybe steam isn't the best example. I don't know if any of you are Amiga buffs, but the Amiga Forever player/launcher might be more what I am looking to do. It is the app running in the lower right of this screenie:

Demuirge, I just might take you up on that. When I get organized I'll look you up.