New BLIde Plus version (with portable environment)

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/New BLIde Plus version (with portable environment)

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hi all!!
For newcomers, BLIde Plus is an integrated development environment for BlitzMax on windows. For more info, see http://www.blide.org . There is a Free version (BLIde Free Edition) and a commercial version (BLIde Plus) available in the site.

A new version with a very interesting new feature is available, and this is the changelog:

BLIde version 10.08.03-A

[*] Introduced the BLIde Traveler system. (Tools / Generate a portable environment)

The BLIde Traveler is a portable environment generated from BLIde Plus, that contains all the BLIde IDE, the active BlitzMax installation (including all modules) and the MinGW setup (if any).

This environment can be created on a Pen Drive or removable device, and it can be executed later on mostly any Windows computer, without requiring any installation. The whole environment is standalone and can be used directly from the removable device.

This tool has been designed to facilitate two tasks:

1.- Coding on several computers with the same BLIde and BlitzMax configuration.
2.- Betatesting your games or applications on several computers with the ability to fix in-situ any bug that may appear

This portable environment called BLIde Traveler is automatically generated by BLIde, and it is ready to be launched from any Windows Vista or Windows 7 computer. It can also be launched on any pre-vista Windows computer with the .net framework version 2,0, 3.0 or 3.5.

To generate a BLIde Traveler, just go to Tools / Generate a portable environment, then select the location where you want this portable environment to be generated, and let BLIde do the rest for you. It's easy.

[*] Fixed an issue that could make BLIde become irresponsive for some seconds when loading a solution in some computers.

[*] Fixed an issue that was making BLIde parse wrong some file extensions on the open file dialogs.

[*] Fixed an alignment issue with the Split Edit View button on the Edit window.

[*] Added the option "Explore module's folder" in the Modules menu.

To get this update, just go to Help / Check for updates from BLIde Plus.

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#2]
[*] Introduced the BLIde Traveler system. (Tools / Generate a portable environment)

Ziggy you're killing me... thats an incredible feature and one I need more than I can say.

{pulls out change jar}

Cartman(Posted 2010) [#3]
Thanks for the update. Some great features you've added.

AndyGFX(Posted 2010) [#4]
Great feature, thx.

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#5]
Portable is good! Not that I have a direct use for it but it can come in handy. Too bad it does take a long time before it's done. Well, at least if you almost have every available BlitzMax module installed :-).

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#6]
Yes, it can take a while specially when using pen drives (portable HDs are a lot faster). My setup took about 20 minutes to be done, but it works pretty well and I now can take BLIde to my studio computer and to my work (well, I shouldn't do that, but I had to test it!)

jsp(Posted 2010) [#7]
This sounds nice!
Is there any prerequisite for the host computer?

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#8]
@jsp: If it's win seven or vista, no. If it's pre-vista it has to have the .net framework version 2.0 or 3.0 or 3.5 (any of them would work).

It works in a sandboxed way, it does not use the host machine register for anythig and, additionally, it can use it's own MinGW without touching a single system environment variable, without requiering anything special, just a click on the "BLIde Traveler.exe" :D

Czar Flavius(Posted 2010) [#9]
You have no idea how frustrating it is when your friend is testing your game and there are the good old exception errors! This will really make my life much easier.

Volker(Posted 2010) [#10]
The updates throws an error here while installing:

A program can't be executed (translated from german).
c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework64\v2.0.50727\csc.exe"
/noconfig/fullpaths
@"C:\Users\Ich\Appdata\Local\Temap\rgf8scvx.cmdline"

Blide starts and shows V 10.08.03; but I'm feared.

Using Win7 64bit

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#11]
@Volker: This is a known issue of BLIde on any OS. It happens randomly after a BLIde update, if the .net system has placed some BLIde DLL's in the computer cache (GAC). After the update, things are not loaded properly. Fortunatelly, this is recognized (too late) by the .net framework, so all the offending assemblies are refreshed at the GAC at the next BLIde restart. That is, if you see this problem ever again after a BLIde update, don't panic! Restart BLIde and everything will be fine again. I hope this has been minimized a lot on latest releases, and I'm still working to minimize it even more.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2010) [#12]
This new feature comes at the perfect timing !
I was fed up to copy modules with a certain revision or update to the last BlitzMax and then rebuild everything when switching from my desktop to my laptop.

Excellent new handy feature then.
It doesn't particularly take much time than doing this myself. Well in my case...

Thanks A LOT Ziggy :)

Volker(Posted 2010) [#13]
Thanks Ziggy.
I found a minor bug. When selecting "create a portable environment" and
getting the error that the MingW path is not set in Blide; if choosing
"Cancel" a window pops up "Creating portable environment.."
but nothing happens (at least for ~1 hour :-).

The possibility to create a portable version including Blitzmax and MingW
is really excellent!

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#14]
@Volker: Thanks for the report, this will be fixed on the next update. It's very appreciated.

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#15]
Hey!

I've just updated the BLIde website. Just in case you want to see it. Also, to access the customer's section, now you have to use the top menu (select Support / Customer's area)

Edit: the new website: http://www.blide.org

GW(Posted 2010) [#16]
Does anyone else have the problem in blide that when scolling horizontally causes all the text to be garbled? I've had since the first version.

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#17]
@GW: I think I've never seen this bug (if I don't remember wrong), and if you have this issue, I'm pretty sure there's a problem with your computer, given that there has been 3 years since the last report about rendering issues. If you're a Plus user, could you please just generate a portable version of BLIde (Tools / Generate a portable environment) and check it on other's people computer? I'm pretty sure BLIde is not the one to blame here. Obviously, If I'm wrong, I'll happily fix it as long as you can provide some details.

GW(Posted 2010) [#18]
well, I have many ide's on my computer and blide is the only one i've seen this with. Also the issue spans multiple computers.
I'll check it out and try to duplicate it on more computers.

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#19]
Also the issue spans multiple computers
Can you give me information about this? Wich BLIde version and OS are you using and, could you provide some screenshots and a step-by-step way to replicate it?

GW(Posted 2010) [#20]
I'll email you so as to not hijack this thread.

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#21]
Thanks! I'll wait your email! and in the future, whenever you have any issue using BLIde, don't hesitate to contact me!

Hotshot2005(Posted 2010) [#22]
NICE new website mr Ziggy :)

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#23]
Thanks for the feedback Hotshot2005! The old one was getting old in a very bad way...

Volker(Posted 2010) [#24]
Ziggy, you should really focus on the missing features of BLide
instead of creating a new website.
For example: .. blinking code .. animated tool bar ...
Tetris plugin ... support for coding with the wii remote ..
and everything else a real programmer needs ;-)

By the way, website is well done. Nice to hear that
there is a chance for BLide for bmax2.

beanage(Posted 2010) [#25]
Hey, anybody an idea why I am seeing this? (well, these misdrawn/not drawn controls i mean, you know, the spinners and buttons) Wrong .Net version, maybe? I am using BLIde Plus 10.08.03 A.

-- edit
It would be a nice feature if you could append files (eg. screenshots) to bug reports!

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#26]
It seems like a GDI issue to me. I'm fixing a GDI mem leak I've just found, (may be it is related). Dows it happens after some hours using BLIde?

beanage(Posted 2010) [#27]
What a quick response!

Dows it happens after some hours using BLIde?

Yea, well, I guess I started BLIde at around 10 AM, I observed the error around 11 45 AM, so yea, thats roughly two hours :)

-- edit
Surprisingly, the error did not go away after a BLIde restart!

-- edit2
The controls get drawn when I move the window out of screen and then into the screen again.

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#28]
GDI is system-wide not application based, so a complete computer restart may be required. Anyway, two ours is not much time, so I gess there must be another app also swallowing GDI resources. I'm preparing an update now to remove a GDI leak, I'm sure it'll help narrowing it.

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#29]
New update available. This update is a sort-of service pack, as it is mostly a "fix" update.
changelog:
BLIde version 10.08.29-A

[*] Fixed an issue with the BLIde Traveller creation tool, related to the way MinGW was embedded in the environment

[*] Fixed some drawing artifacts on the cancel button of the "Building..." window.

[*] Fixed an issue that could cause some tools to become hidden when a solution was opened in several computers with different resolutions and screen combinations

[*] Fixed a GDI+ memory leak

[*] Fixed an issue that was making the option "Explore module's folder" not work properly on BLIde Traveller

[*] Improved the time needed to create a BLIde Traveller environment on fast portable drives.

[*] BLIde text renderer is a bit faster due some internal low level improvements.

[*] Improved the autolist-matching mechanism for predictive auto-completion

[*] Jump to definition now can be used also to open and navigate module's source code.

H&K(Posted 2010) [#30]
cool

beanage(Posted 2010) [#31]
Nice! That fixed the GDI Problem!

Just a minor question; is it possible to override the casing of a specific keyword somewhere somehow? Like, some module has a "setzoom" method, whereas in my module I would like a similar method to be cased as "SetZoom"..

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#32]
@BaAnAgne: Case matching is based on modules identifiers and then, in local scope based words and there's no way to override this at the moment... Can take a look to it later, but not for the next update as it would mean quite a bit of changes that would requiere a real complete beta-testing phase.
I'm planing a beta-testing phase for a general update I'm preparing in the BLIde rendering and parsing engine, to improve parsing speed. When this beta is public, I'll take a look to the case algorithm too.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#33]
This looks interesting. I've been dipping my toe back into BMax for a couple of things recently, and settled for using the community IDE. Tempted to ise BLIde now.

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#34]
@Blitzplotter: Why don't you download the free version and give it a try?
You can get it here.

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#35]
Small update available:
BLIde version 10.08.31-A (stability release)
[*] Fixed a compatibility issue with BLIde and multi-monitor windows setups.
[*] Fixed a stability issue when BLIde is configured to 'open last application' and a speciffic history of 'opens' was performed

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#36]
@Ziggy, just tried your IDE and it is very impressive. A very nice installation script & I like the options to configure what style of IDE you want. I can see from your Dev list on your forums there has been some pretty substantial work here.

Corum(Posted 2010) [#37]
It's an awesome IDE indeed. For sure the #1 when compared to other Bmax IDEs around.
I've read about an evolution of Blide, aimed at the future release of Max2.
Please Manel, do it by using mono, so we can run it under every OS supported by Bmax. :-)
I cannot develop for Bmax using Parallels+XP+Blide running on top of them. It's a complete waste of resources, considering I'm running SVN natively on Mac filesystem and have not enabled file sharing from Mac side, for security reasons.
Please, give some love to Linux and Mac users! :)

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#38]
I'm still planing everything regarding BLIde for the next blitz language, and I'm considering Java, but I'm not yet 100% decided about this, there are lots of things I love about Java but some others I don't like, and I want to be sure it can be done properly in whatever platform I choose.
Mono is a good option if I get a usable and stable docking framework for GTK# or mono-compatible winforms, but I haven't had any successs with it.

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#39]
Of all things not Java! Have you ever tried using a IDE that was written in Java? I've given Netbeans and Eclipse both a shot (tried them both for a number of days to a few weeks) and they are so immensely SLOW. Now, not to say that's something directly related to Java, but somehow these Java apps always randomly freeze, are dead slow and just plain unreliable.

Or maybe I've just always have had bad luck with this kind of stuff.

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#40]
I'm making my own benchmarks and I've seen some java apps stop responding for very small lapsus too, but not sure if it was for the apps and not for Java. All in all, if I go the Java route, I think I'll provide compiled versions of the IDE, not JIT versions.

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#41]
Hope that would make a difference. So far BLIde has always been very stable for me (maybe only 2 freezes since I've been using it). If anything can make a programmer go made then it's his IDE being non-responsive, freezing and crashing all the time.

PS: If anyone uses Eclipse PDT (the PHP edition), try opening a big PHP file and press CTRL + A and just watch it crash 9 out of 10 times. Fun guaranteed!

Corum(Posted 2010) [#42]
I share the Hrbaa's aversion about java world. :)
Please, consider to use mono or wxWidgets or QT, but please keep java far away from BMax!! :)

Tachyon(Posted 2010) [#43]
Ziggy- just updated Blide to latest version and there is a bug.

If you dock the "Find and Replace" dialog window into the IDE, you can't use the "f" key in the programming window without triggering "find next".

Discovered this while trying to type "If" and it was forcing the cursor to jump down to the next iteration of a variable I was previously looking for.

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#44]
@Tachyon:Thanks! I'm fixing this

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#45]
New BLIde Plus update available.
This is the changelog:
BLIde version 10.09.12-A (Stability release)

[*] Fixed an issue that was triggering the 'Find Next' operation when the F key was pressed and the search and replace dialog was docked.

[*] Fixed a stability issue when loading some large unmanaged solutions and the locals tree was being sorted.

[*] Fixed an issue that was making BLIde integration with the .net printer tools not work properly for some printers, due to some changes introduced in the latest QWhale parser service pack.

[*] BLIde now handles properly the mixture of Linux/MacOs/Windows CR codes that were present in the BlitzMax change-log provided by BRL, so they're properly shown on BLIde.

To get the update, go to Help / Check for BLIde updates.

BLaBZ(Posted 2010) [#46]
Is there a way to highlight a bunch of code and move it back an indent?? I find myself copying and pasting quite a bit in and out of statements and it would be extremely convenient if I could do that in a snap to quickly keep descent code organization

siread(Posted 2010) [#47]
I think Shift-Tab does that. :)

Cheers Ziggy!

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#48]
yes, shift tab does it.

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#49]
@BLaBZ: You can also select Edit / Advanced / Format whole document to fix all the identing, case and identifiers in all your document.

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#50]
An update is available to all BLIde Plus users.
It's a small update, this is the changelog:

[*] Fixed an issue that was blocking cut&paste operations when an application was being debugged and the advanced settings was set to allow edition while debugging..
[*] Improved thread operations while parsing source code. Now parsing is faster in computers up to 8 cores.

To get it, just go to Help / Check for BLIde updates. You can also download it from the customer's section of the BLIde website.

beanage(Posted 2010) [#51]
Thanks for fixing that clipboard thingy.

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#52]
I'm seriously considering making the BLIdeUS files JSON based instead of XML based. Is this wrong for anybody?

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#53]
What advantages does JSON based provide over XML?

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#54]
It's smaller, easier to read and parse (as it is human readable) and there are open source implementations. Currently BLIde is using the Microsoft XML library, that seems to have some issues, and relies on the C Sharp compiler in some way, wich is something I really don't like.

lesslucid(Posted 2010) [#55]
On the front page of the website, "hobbyist" is spelled "hobbiest". Just, uh, in case that kind of thing bothers you.

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#56]
@lesslucid: Thanks, I'm not native English as you can see in the site, so this kind of help is much appreciated. Fixing it right now.

lesslucid(Posted 2010) [#57]
Good - I didn't want you to think I was being critical. It only sticks out for me because everything else looks so professional. :)

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#58]
@lesslucid: Of course! I appreciate a lot any help in any area. BLIde is done basically by a one-man team, with the time-to-time help of several betatesters, and the help of the QWhale coder's in some of the BLIde syntax editor control rendering design. So, as most of the people involved in BLIde development are not native English spokers, any help in this respect is much appreciated.

siread(Posted 2010) [#59]
Hi Ziggy. I just got around to setting up the Blide Traveller system on a usb stick. It worked like a charm and is a fantastic feature. Thanks! :D

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#60]
@siread: glad you like it! I'm using it every day in conjuction with latest BlitzMax 1.41 wich seems to be faster than previous versions :D