..array element removal..

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/..array element removal..

Naughty Alien(Posted 2010) [#1]
..what would be most efficient way of removing desired element of an array..array contain integers only..

GfK(Posted 2010) [#2]
The most efficient way would be to use a TList or TMap instead - arrays are not the best choice where the data needs to be changed around/removed.

But if you insist on arrays, slicing is probably the best way. I don't often use it myself but its well documented. You might as read up on it yourself rather than me find the info and repeat it all to you.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2010) [#3]
..slices are fine, i was just wondering is there anything else to consider..because when im passing trough array in order to get specific data and Tlist, i found that actually arrays are faster..so i was wondering what techniques you guys using for such thing..

Czar Flavius(Posted 2010) [#4]
You could set empty elements to a preset dummy value (such as smallest possible integer) and simply ignore any elements with this value.

If order in the array is not important, you could swap the unwanted element with the last element in the list and maintain your own counter of how long the array is.

A TMap is between an array and TList for both removing a specific element and getting a specific element.

beanage(Posted 2010) [#5]
When I really want speed, then I use a slot/garbage system (frankly builds upon what Czar suggested):
Global data:Int[MAX_DATA]
Global datacount:Int
Global datapeak:Int
Global garbage:Int[MAX_GARBAGE]
Global garbagecount:Int

Function AddData:Int( content:Int )
	Local slot:Int

If garbagecount
		garbagecount:- 1
		slot = garbage[ garbagecount ]
	Else
		slot = datapeak
		datapeak:+ 1
	End If
	data[ slot ] = content
	datacount:+ 1
	Return slot
End Function

Function RemoveData( slot:int )
	data[ slot ] = DUMMY_VALUE
	garbage[ garbagecount ] = slot
	garbagecount:+ 1
	datacount:- 1
End Function

Polan(Posted 2010) [#6]
you can create second array, same size, bytes only, read that array first, if 1 then that field in other array i used. Set to 0 if you want to "remove" data from other array.
You increase memory usage a bit but not so much :)

Czar Flavius(Posted 2010) [#7]
If you are going into complex solutions such as support arrays, you might as well create a TInt type with only a single integer field, and store those in the array. Then you can use Null as your dummy value!

beanage(Posted 2010) [#8]
@Polan: Surprisingly, 4 bytes will be allocated for each byte var, so they dont get you any mem benefit. Some speed benefit in some situations though. I guess.

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#9]
Surprisingly, 4 bytes will be allocated for each byte var

Not in an array :
SuperStrict

Local bytes:Byte[] = New Byte[256]

Local bp:Byte Ptr = bytes
For Local i:Int = 0 Until bytes.length
    bp[0] = 1
    bp:+ 1
Next

' reset
bp = bytes

' display first 4 bytes (hex)
Print Hex(Int Ptr(bp)[0])

will be 256 bytes big, plus 4 for the object reference (which I believe precedes it)...

Of course, if you mean a byte Field, then yes, they are int aligned, I believe.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2010) [#10]
Beanage, the reason is a 32-bit processor goes through data 32-bit chunks at a time. That's 4 bytes and an Int is 4 bytes, and so the fastest data type. A byte is 8-bits and so it's actually more awkward for the processor to handle than an Int, even though it's smaller.

Is a BlitzMax Long faster on a 64-bit processor?