Theoretical Experiment: Imperative Operator

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Theoretical Experiment: Imperative Operator

beanage(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hey,

this is EXTREMELY theoretical, I do NOT think about any real implmentation, its just on top of my head. And I would appreciate any opinion.. so.. here goes:

Basically, you can see any equation in two ways: Either as a boolean evaluation, like ..
If a = 1 ..

.. or as an imperative ..
a = 1

.. right?

Now, what about an "imperative operator", that ENFORCES a certain equation to be true. lets say, that imperative operator is the !Exclamation Mark.
Pseudocode, with the ! in bold:
a = 1 ! 'alright, not a big deal

( a >= 0 ) AND ( a <= 10 ) ! 'now, that would be cool if it actually always checks out that interval, right?

b <= 5 ! 'just another condition
a^2 + b^2 = 125 ! 'so, here its to become usefull: a has to become 10, because b is max 5.

I realize that an implementation would have to include some sort of computer algebra system.. but thats just the beginning:
Local myObject:TBaseObject

TExtendingObject (myObject) ! 'tadaa now its a TExtendingObject

This would even have something in common with the lambda operator:
( f(x) = (x^2) ) AND ( f(x) <= 10 ) AND ( f(x) >= 0 ) AND Float(x) !

I know that idea is in a very chaotic state and there would be a LOT of loopholes to consider, but the basic concept should be clear.. now what do you think? Potentially useful? Interesting? Reinvention of the wheel? Incarnation of boredom [like so much other stuff in our society] ?

degac(Posted 2010) [#2]
Question

What should be the 'result' of this
b <= 5 !

if B=3

a. B=TRUE
b. B=3
c. Did I miss something?

For the 'casting object thing' it seems logic but - I think - you lose the fact the MyObject has a different type from the original implementation... and this makes harder reading code if you 'jump' that particolar line.

Warpy(Posted 2010) [#3]
I think it's trying to do far too many things, and actually it's just acting as a symbol that tells the program to switch to a different language for a bit.

The casting thing would break type-checking:

Local a:Float = 5.1
If SomethingUnpredictable()
 String(a) !
EndIf

Local b:Float = a/2

When would you need to change the type of a variable and keep the same name instead of just using a different name and casting?

Is the lambda example trying to define f(x)? It's arguably a more complicated line than normal lambda notation, and it doesn't really define f(x) - it says x^2 has to be between 0 and 10, but doesn't say what happens to values of x that don't obey that.

To get the computer algebra stuff, just use a computer algebra system! You could even wrap it up in a function, so something like
satisfy( ' x<10 and x>0 ' , scope)

would do what you want. The function would either pick a random satisfactory value of x, or return an object representing the possible values, or something like that.

Maybe have a look at prolog and haskell for the logic and lambda stuff, respectively.

beanage(Posted 2010) [#4]
Awesome, thanks for your replies so far!!

@degac: Maybe you would have to differenciate a "can be" and an "is" operator .. but this experiment should at least be fun if anything, so what would you expect?

@Warpy: I know, I know .. I am mixing up OOP, Computer Algebra, the Lambda Calculus, and who knows what.. And as I said, theres A LOT of loopholes to contemplate.

Regarding the casting .. My guess is, that the runtime would have to keep multiple versions of the programs "universe" .. look at your example:
Local a:Float = 5.1
If SomethingUnpredictable()
 String(a) !
EndIf

a/2 would ask for the version, where a is a float. Lets call this type of programming where everything is possible and the programer feels lost in an endless chaos of possibilities MULTIVERSE PROGRAMMING :) .. Oh well, to be honest, this theoretical experiment is mind-bending, even to me :}, considering that
would be the same as
b = a/2 AND Float(b) !

What I find personally interesting, is that, in a lot of ways, this reflects how we would speak out the definitions if we had to.