Mac - universal binaries?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Mac - universal binaries?

GfK(Posted 2010) [#1]
I found this which claims there is a sticky topic in the tutorial section on how to use "Brucey's BMK NG" to compile universal binaries on an Intel Mac - I don't see it.

I only see one topic which says I need to buy a PPC Mac as well as the Intel one I just bought (won't happen!).

What's this "BMK NG" thing? Is it possible to create universal binaries on an Intel Mac, or not?

As a side note, please don't suggest PearPC or other emulation! ;)

therevills(Posted 2010) [#2]
Its the Next Generation!!! :D

You dont need to a PPC Mac thats the whole reason for Brucey's super BMK...

Ill find the link for you....

Edit:
Try this:

http://brucey.net/programming/blitz/mingw/index.html

I only did the OSX stuff for The Bloobles and it worked straight away :)

GfK(Posted 2010) [#3]
Thanks, will have a fiddle with that lot tomorrow. :)

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#4]
Is it possible to create universal binaries on an Intel Mac, or not?

You don't need any special tools. It is easy enough to do it by hand...

You will need two BlitzMax build areas - one each for Intel and PPC (you can download both versions from the usual place).
You build your app separately in each environment, then you use a command line tool (lipo) to merge the two created binaries into one "fat" binary, containing both PPC and Intel code.
(It is preferable that your game data is not Incbin'd, as you will end up with two copies of it in your final binary)

that's more or less the generalised steps to take if you are doing it all manually.
There should be some posts around here that go into more detail about what exactly you type onto the console :-)

Robert Cummings(Posted 2010) [#5]
I dont think there's any paying customer left with a PPC mac and if there is, they won't have 3D hardware acceleration. This should only be supported if big fish are insisting on it.

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#6]
If Apple still support Universal binaries, it is only fair to build one - it's not like there's any real extra effort to make one...

Armitage 1982(Posted 2010) [#7]
That's funny, I'm just working with the last BMK tonight.
I'm currently rebuilding the whole modules list on a Hackintosh with makemods -i but it's taking around 10 SEC. per FILE ! and this 4 times (release x86, debugx86, release ppc, debug ppc... common can you imagine building CEGUI 4 times at 10 s./file !!?).

I would like to ask if still todays there isn't another better solution to build my crossplatform game for Mac Os X (and PPC thanks to universal binaries) From Windows or Linux PC !?

I now best would be to own a Mac but it's not my intention today (maybe in one or two years minimum).

Isn't there something like Mingw but for Mac Os X ? Something else, dunno ?