Who codes primarily on a Mac?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Who codes primarily on a Mac?

GfK(Posted 2010) [#1]
Just got one yesterday but MaxIDE (after using BLIde for years) is more than slightly painful. I really miss intellisense.

I'm curious to know how you all live with this, or, is there some alternative I've yet to find out about?

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#2]
*raises hand*

Somehow I don't seem to need it for BlitzMax.
I use it all the time when working with Java (in Eclipse)... couldn't live without it there... but I think since BlitzMax is so small, generally, I can remember enough of the APIs to get along nicely :-)

But I understand your problem!
One becomes rather accustomed to not having to think too much - I am so that way when it comes to Java... you type away, press "dot" and up pops a long list of functions... no thinking required... :-)

GfK(Posted 2010) [#3]
Its not so much about not having to think - I'm in the process of porting a huge project to Mac and I simply can't remember every function/method/field.

But it isn't just that - in BLIde I can right-click a function call, and then jump straight to the declaration. In MaxIDE I have to find it myself. Call it laziness, or call it maximising the use of my time - I'd like to be able to do it!

Robert Cummings(Posted 2010) [#4]
If you find the answer to this let me know, I gave up and just got on with it.. I find it pretty nightmarish using default IDE on mac for big projects.

N(Posted 2010) [#5]
I don't use "Intellisense," just TextMate with my BlitzMax tmbundle (which has quick-help and what-not for documented functions). Also, unless you used a lot of platform-specific code, you're probably overstating the amount of work you need to do in porting your code. Far as I know, however, you have no solutions to the lack of "Intellisense."

therevills(Posted 2010) [#6]
Get Dabz's MaxSense code off him and build a Mac version of it ;)

ima747(Posted 2010) [#7]
I use the CE IDE, it's not much better than the default (almost the same really) but if you slot in some of Brucy's magical brilliance with BMKng then the cross compiling and being able to run post compile scripts for including icons and what not saves me SOOO much hassle with cross platform projects.

Roger(Posted 2010) [#8]
Maybe convince ziggy to do a mono friendly version. He may have .net only components or lots of p-invokes etc etc. But making glide mono capable would give blitzmax a cross platform high end IDE

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#9]
@Roger: I'm using lots of GDI calls that do not have a counter-part in GTK, so not really a possibility unless we put also wine in the equation, but that's a nightmare, and not 100% stable. I'm thinking on a plugin to allow people to code on BLIde on windows, and automate compilation on Mac or Linux using some tcp/ip based protocol, but this is still on a planing status and not sure if it will see the light of day any time soon (if ever). That could allow people to use BLIde in parallels to make real mac binaries, or use a isngle windows machine to code, etc.

jkrankie(Posted 2010) [#10]
@ziggy, If you were to start writing another IDE in the future, would you do it in the same way as have with Blide, or use cross platform friendly libraries?

Cheers
Charlie

Armitage 1982(Posted 2010) [#11]
I'm thinking on a plugin to allow people to code on BLIde on windows, and automate compilation on Mac or Linux using some tcp/ip based protocol, but this is still on a planing status and not sure if it will see the light of day any time soon (if ever). That could allow people to use BLIde in parallels to make real mac binaries, or use a isngle windows machine to code, etc.

I desperately need something like this.
Well not exactly: I don't have any mac so testing and building binaries for this platform is a problem from Windows.

I successfully build something thanks to VMware, but it's slow as hell and obviously I'm not able to test it. Installing the xcode developer dvd take me nearly a whole day same thing when you need to build every modules LOL.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2010) [#12]
It's no good because Gfk actually NEEDS to code mac-specific code, not cross platform code.

Leon Drake(Posted 2010) [#13]
Macs can code :O

lol

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#14]
ziggy, If you were to start writing another IDE in the future, would you do it in the same way as have with Blide, or use cross platform friendly libraries?
Well, in fact I'm writting a new IDE for BMX2 and I'm using again the same architecture. The best alternative would be Java but I really can't get with the Java language. Also, I like to have a deep integration level on the GUI editor and the code editor, and I haven't found any Ide (except jet brains intellidea) that provides this in a way I like.

AarbronBeast(Posted 2010) [#15]
Just thought I'd chime in. I have recently begun developing a BlitzMax IDE myself (see my thread). I am initially coding it on the Mac, but will eventually release a PC and Linux version as well.

beanage(Posted 2010) [#16]
@PrismaticRealms: Oh well, good thing you showed up! Just wanna advertise your project a little bit. Anyways, for all who missed the initial thread, here you go:

http://blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=90406

AarbronBeast(Posted 2010) [#17]
@BeAnAge Yes, since my project is in context with this thread, I thought it would be ok. Thanks for putting up the link!

Winni(Posted 2010) [#18]
Well, in fact I'm writting a new IDE for BMX2 and I'm using again the same architecture. The best alternative would be Java but I really can't get with the Java language. Also, I like to have a deep integration level on the GUI editor and the code editor, and I haven't found any Ide (except jet brains intellidea) that provides this in a way I like.

Well, and that will be the second time then that I cannot buy your probably beautiful product - in my book you're developing on and for the wrong platform.

I'm curious to know how you all live with this, or, is there some alternative I've yet to find out about?

MaxIDE looks and feels a LOT like the old TurboBasic, later PowerBASIC, IDE, so I give her the benefit of nostalgia. MaxIDE really feels like somebody has turned back the wheel of time for twenty or twenty-five years. I can imagine that this must be very painful for those who haven't spend their teenage years in the 1980s like myself.

The Windows folks are probably better off with the Express editions of Visual C# and maybe the Blitz3D SDK. The Linux and Mac users, unfortunately, either have to live with the Status Quo or look for a different tool.

Doesn't somebody want to step forward and build a nice Eclipse plug-in for BlitzMax -AND- its documentation? Mind you: I'm not asking for a free or open source plug-in. I don't want to spend my own time on it, but I'd be willing to pay for it.

(Actually, a MonoDevelop plug-in would also be okay, although I'd prefer to use 64-Bit Cocoa-Eclipse.)

Pengwin(Posted 2010) [#19]
Personally, I would love an XCode plug-in, and I believe there was one for earlier versions of xcode, but I cannot seem to find it anywhere.
I also understand that an Eclipse plug-in was in the works a while back, but was unfortunately abandoned.

beanage(Posted 2010) [#20]
MaxIDE looks and feels a LOT like the old TurboBasic, later PowerBASIC, IDE, so I give her the benefit of nostalgia.

Buy some PUNCHCARDS today, and get the original BADASS ENIAC NUCLEAR SCIENTIST FEELING!