Rotate around center without centered handle

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Rotate around center without centered handle

Foppy(Posted 2010) [#1]
I want to rotate a 2D image of an airplane so that its nose points up or down, probably using SetRotation.

For it to look nice, the rotation would have to be performed around the center of the image, but I am using the default upper left corner of the image (0,0) as its handle.

Is there a way to use the upper left corner of the image for drawing, while at the same time using the center of the image for rotating?

I could use the center of the image for drawing too, but the rest of the code (collisions etc.) assumes the handle is at 0,0.

Volker(Posted 2010) [#2]
Function SetImageHandle( image:TImage,x#,y# )
Description: Set an image's handle to an arbitrary point
Information: An image's handle is subtracted from the coordinates of DrawImage before rotation and scale are applied.

Hope that helps.

Warpy(Posted 2010) [#3]
oh dear, you've just asked the same question as stanrol.

Foppy(Posted 2010) [#4]
No, Stanrol asked a different question. Only the first line of my question is the same.

Midimaster(Posted 2010) [#5]
Function MidHandleImage(Image:TImage)
set a rotation center to the mid of the image.

Foppy(Posted 2010) [#6]
Thanks for that, but that would also change the drawing location of the image, if I am not mistaken.

I think I will either not rotate the image, or I will use MidHandleImage and then do some additional math (as suggested by Warpy) when drawing the image to get it at the right location, as if the handle was still at 0,0.

dynaman(Posted 2010) [#7]
What kind of collision detection are you doing? It might actually be easier to reset the collision code to work from the center of the image. Unless you have already taken into account the math for collision based on the rotated position of the item, in which case the match for displaying it in the correct place should be trivial. (or I'm overthinking this)

Foppy(Posted 2010) [#8]
What kind of collision detection are you doing? It might actually be easier to reset the collision code to work from the center of the image.
This is true... for this or a following game I could consider using centered handles for all game objects.

Polan(Posted 2010) [#9]
midhandle image
then
drawimage img,x-imagewidth(img)/2,y-imageheight(img)/2
that what you mean? you will draw in same place but rotate around center

Foppy(Posted 2010) [#10]
Yes that is what I mean. I will try something like that the next time I am at my computer. (ImageWidth and ImageHeight may use the unrotated width and height but I will figure this out.)

Thanks for the suggestions and help!